Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Nov 8th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Default Recording Radio Streams

Has anyone any experience recording radio streams?

I would like to record a show that is regularly broadcast while I'm at work. I'd then like to play it on my Sonos (and my MP3 player and my laptop too).

I think I need a "Zone Recorder" but I doubt whether this will make it to the development list any time soon.

In the meantime does anyone have any suggestions?

The best option I've found myself is a Pure DAB radio that includes an EPG and an SD card. However, at over £250, this is an expensive option.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 06:29 AM

If they broadcast a web stream and you have a computer running, you could use replay/av by applian. ($49)
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 06:35 AM

...or Total Recorder ($18)
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:09 AM

...or Streamripper (free), but I suspect this only works on Linux or similar.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Actually, I think there also is a streamripper for windows. I used it once years ago to save a whole tv-series in real video format to disk.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM

So could I sue one of these applications to record part of a stream to a designated folder on my NAS? This would mean I could schedule an automatic update and use the stream as a wakeup alarm which would be excellent (the Wordl Service has a good summary at about 4am, but not so good I want to wake up then to listen to it...)

Does anyone know of a Mac compatible stream recorder?

Thanks for all your wise words, as ever.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Dr,

Not the answer you're looking for, more an alternative. Have you investigated the possibility of using podcasts to obtain your programme?

Have a look here and see if what you're after is available. If so, then use a suitable podcast retrieval app (Juice, iTunes etc..) and store that file on your NAS.

Not sure on the timings though, ie: when it gets uploaded as a podcast. Something for you to investigate.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM

If you want to wake up to a news broadcast, look for a good one which offers a "podcast" format. Then you have to open up the podcast with internet explorer, and you'll be able to see the mp3 url.

Now if you're lucky (and only then), it will be a static url, meaning it always stays the same. You can recognise non-static urls when they have some kind of date contained in the url.

So when you find a news "podcast" with a static url, simply add the mp3 url as a radio preset, and make it into an alarm. No need to download.

Edit: Here's an example:
Code:
http://http-ws.bbc.co.uk.edgesuite.net/asx.esi?worldservice/tx/nb/summary5min.wma

Last edited by Avee; Nov 20th, 2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM

I am, as ever, overawed by the speed and generosity of knowledge of board members. Thank you.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tchok View Post
So could I sue one of these applications to record part of a stream to a designated folder on my NAS? This would mean I could schedule an automatic update and use the stream as a wakeup alarm which would be excellent (the Wordl Service has a good summary at about 4am, but not so good I want to wake up then to listen to it...)

Does anyone know of a Mac compatible stream recorder?

Thanks for all your wise words, as ever.
This is exactly what I do, see my post in this thread for more info. You'll have to use one of the tools mentioned above for capturing the Real stream and converting it into a Sonos-compatible format, but once you have it it's a no-brainer to wake up to things like this!