Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 11:19 PM

Default Sonos with multi channel amp

Can you use a Sonos remote/system with a multi channel amp for sound in 10 rooms w/o 10 zp 100s? It just seems like crazy $ to have 10 zp100s...or 32 for that matter.

Is Sonos planning on a multi room system? Most whole house systems are at least 6 zones (12 speakers).
Thanks
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 01:29 AM

slewis,

You can use SONOS as a source for any multi-channel amplifier.

SONOS is a new breed of whole house system. Rather than a central pile of black boxes with remote wiring and speaker wires run back to the central location, a SONOS system is distributed throughout the house. Wiring is very simple, requiring only network cable and short speaker wire runs to each ZonePlayer. If you've already run the network wire (as you should have) no additional central wiring is required.

When comparing costs of the systems keep in mind that SONOS installation is very simple because there are no keypads or volume controls to fuss with and there is no programming involved -- it just works. The all in one systems require a keypad per stereo channel, a SONOS system can operate with 1-32 controllers that can be any mix of SONOS handheld controllers, PC's or Mac's. And there is no need to budget for a user training session. If a potential user has had a demonstration of a SONOS system, they already know how to operate it.

Many of those central black boxes come only in four or six room mulitples. You may need to purchase another six room box when adding that 7th room.

While I recommend that ethernet wire be run to each ZonePlayer location, the wireless capability allows extra rooms to be inexpensively added late in the project.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Is Sonos planning on a multi room system?
Sonos IS a multiroom system. It's simply more modular, expandable, and flexible than most.

If you look at mid-range multi-room audio systems, Sonos is also cheaper than many.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Guess my question was not clear. Can I buy one zp 80 and connect it to a 12 channel amp and still get seperate control over each of the 6 zones?

Or do I need 6 zp 80s or (ditch my amp) and get 6 zp100s?

When I asked, will SONOS get a multi room set up, I ment, all in one box. Now you need a zp100 for each room right?
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM

You will need 6 ZPs to be able to play different songs in differnt zones.

If you want to play the same song in all zones, and just need to control the volume (and on/off) in each zone, then you may be able to get a Prepro/REciever to do this (although most of these will only control up to 2-3 zones).
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 10:08 AM

slewis,

A single ZP80 connected to a multi-channel amplifier operates the same as connecting a CD player to the amplifier. The amplifier's control system determins how you control the volume for each zone. Obviously, the same SONOS program will play in all zones that select the single ZP80 as their source and the SONOS volume control will simultaneously effect all zones if it is set to "variable".

If you use the multi-channel amplifier, there will be interactions between the SONOS controllers and the amplifier control scheme. You may need to modify the amplifier's power ON/OFF scheme and you may want to set the zone volumes at a fixed point. In my opinion the multi-channel amplifer should be set to be as dumb as possible and the SONOS controller should be used for day to day operation.

For some, the idea of a distributed system is radical and illogical. I've always thought that the central idea was dumb and constraining -- but it was the only game in town. With the arrival of SONOS the rules have changed and I'm enjoying the freedom.

For example, if someone wants to hook an iPod to a central system, one must travel to the central system and plug it in. This may not be a big deal, but it starts to wear thing when one must travel to the central system in order to operate the iPod or reclaim it when going out. With a distributed SONOS system the iPod can merely be plugged into the nearest ZonePlayer. The central approach would require wires run back to the control location from each potential attach point. It would also be possible to strap an iPod to a ZP80 and locate it anywhere within the wireless coverage area.

Why would someone want to use an iPod rather than playing directly from the SONOS library? DRM protected tunes purchased from iTunes can be played only on Apple equipment. (Unless you want to go through their inconvenient procedure of removing the DRM)
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Default Adds A Lot Even in Simple Whole House Retrofit

Maybe to help you visualize:

I have a 3000 sq ft house and now live there only with my terrific wife. Although we have a 80/100 bundle (and now added a zonebridge), we essentially almost always play the "whole house" zone. (It travels from the zonebridge in the basement where our router is to our main floor entertainment center. Custom retrofit wiring of ten years ago drops there about 6 or 7 rooms of speaker cable. The speakers are controlled by an impendance selector switch, with the Sonos 80 out pushed through the receiver and as with other sources through a larger distribution amp to the speaker selector switch which generally is on for all speakers. [It works fine, though these days, many folks would recommend a multi-speaker amp with discrete channels and power to each set of speakers.])

Each room has its own volume control on the wall and some are typically set to no sound, but other rooms have a fairly static setting that provides ambient sound.

The Sonos controller changes the volume to all rooms because of its variable output.

We could add more zones and have different streams playing different places, but haven't found much need. We walk around and change what's playing as we desire.

Even with this pretty simple setup, the advantages of Sonos in opening up our music options and controlling them wherever we are (with sleep and alarm functionality) makes it still an incredible value.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM

I have a question along the same lines...

We have speakers wired from patio, kitchen, living room - all home run to a utility closet where we also have our home networking and wi-fi router. The family room "theater" speakers are wired to a separate spot in that room. Our plan has been to have a Niles SI-1230 (12-channel) amp in the closet with 3 ZPs to control/distribute to the 3 zones, and a ZP at the home theater (4th) zone.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether we should use ZP100s to control and drive the speakers independently vs. using the Niles amp (with ZP80s) to power them? Are the benefits (power, sound quality, etc.) worth the additional cost to get the Niles amp?

Niles + Sonos is a costlier solution than Sonos alone by about $750, which is less than the cost of the amp.

Thanks.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:57 PM

EricR-Seattle,

In my opinion, adding the Niles amplifer will complicate the installation without adding any benefit.

I recommend that you use a ZP100 in the home theater and connect the front speakers to an automated speaker switch such as the SONANCE AS2/S.

Plug a modular 12V power supply into the switched outlet of the A/V receiver. This will transfer the speakers to the receiver when it is turned ON.

From an operational standpoint the SONOS becomes transparent. When the receiver is OFF the operator can simply pick up the SONOS controller and listen to music. When the receiver is turned ON, its remote will rule. Even Aunt Tilda will be able to use the SONOS. If you use a ZP80, you'll have two remotes to juggle.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM

Thanks for this suggestion for the theater zone - I'll look into it. I should have been more specific about my configuration and use for the Niles amp...

I have 3 sets of speakers through the first floor, wired back to a utility closet. This is where I plan to have the Niles amp with 3 ZP80s to manage the zones. OR, should I just use 3 ZP100 units to power these three sets of speakers. I guess the question is whether the Niles amp is a worthwhile investment to power the speakers over using ZP100s... which may be the wrong question to ask in a Sonos forum... Thanks again.