Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:03 PM

Default Setting up Sonos without a wired connection

Has anyone successfully set up Sonos using the Linksys wireless bridge (Linksys WET54GS5) as described in the FAQ? I would like to not have one of my ZP's "wasted" and simply sitting attached to my router in my office. I rarely listen to music there. I would like to start out with one ZP in the family room that is able to stream my music wirelessly from an NAS that is attached to my wireless router. If this work out, I would like the 2nd ZP to be set up wireless in my bedroom.

Though I am tech saavy I am by no means a technophile. I would greatly appreciate somewhat detailed instructions on how to set this configuration up. Beer awaits for anyone that can help.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Bump. Has anyone answered this question?

Update: found the FAQ. Sorry for the impatience.

Last edited by illustreous; Jun 7th, 2005 at 05:48 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 11:23 AM

illustreous:

sorry for being dense but the faq didnt really help me. I think I understand the diagram, wire a ZP to the wireless bridge. Is there anything specific I need to do with the bridge in terms of setting it up for the ZP? I have never used a bridge before...
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Digital Expert

Default Maybe some help

Does your PC have both a Wireless Network card and a general Nic (ethernet)? If so, this is how it appears to be working based on the FAQ.

You have an interent connection via ethernet. You are going to bridge that connection to the wireless card giving your wireless card access to the internet through your pc, then you can use the wireless card as a connection to the ZP.

You need to have the ZP and the wireless connection yap with each other. In order to do this the IP address of your wireless connection has to be that of the IP address range of the ZP. Go into the propertied of the wireless card and set the IP to (169.254.1.10) so that the ZP can speak with your wireless card. ZP has a private ip range of 169.254.*.* so you can use another IP if you would like.

This will allow the ZP to connect to your pc via your wireless connection.

Does this answer your question?

Thanks,
Nick
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Nick, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am bit more confused now...my pc does not have a wireless pc card. it is hard wired to my wireless router which is also connected to my dsl modem. I also want to hardwire my NAS to the wireless router. From the diagram in the faq it looks like I need to hardwire one ZP to a wireless bridge so that the ZP can communicate or yap back to my wireless router where my NAS is attached. Is this correct?

Is there anything difficult about setting up a bridge? Anything unique that needs to be specifically for the ZP? Has anyone else successfully tried this? I would hate to be first test subject given my slightly above average understanding of networking.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Digital Expert

When you bridge connections on a pc, you are bridging two network devices. You cannot bridge a wireless connection if you have no wireless connection on the pc. Make sense? You have to have one ZP connecting to the PC. This can be done wirelessly if you have a wireless card in the pc. From there, the ZP should be able to sense your NAS and other connections on your network, as it is now connected to the network via your pc.

Bridging a connection is very easy, it is also very easy to undo. Just CTRL click on the two connection you want to bridge | Right Click on the highlighted connections | select Bridge Connections. Viola!

Hope this helps,

Nick

Last edited by Mav; Jun 7th, 2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Nick, but my PC and NAS will be connected to my wireless router. Doesnt the bridge communicate to the wireless router? And since both my PC and NAS are attached to the router, the ZP should "see" them correct? This is what it looks like to me on the diagram that is in the faq.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Digital Expert

No there is no way of having your wireless router being used as a device on your pc. It’s a wap or wireless access point. You must have your ZP either physically connected to your pc or wirelessly through a bridged connection through a wireless card.

Yes once a ZP is connected to the pc it will be able to see all connections on your network including your NAS.

Update: I finally found the diagram that you are talking about. That is for an actual wireless bridge here is a link (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=241) no wonder it wasnt making sense. This is completly different from a software bridge setup with windows.

Nick

Last edited by Mav; Jun 7th, 2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Digital Expert

As Mav pointed out in his last post, there is sometimes confusion in the way that the term bridge. If you have multiple network cards on your windows PC (either ethernet or wireless or both), windows can form a bridge for you to make the two networks appears as one.

What is being discussed here is a small piece of hardware that bridges a wired ethernet network and a wireless ethernet network. To the ZP (which is connected to the wired ethernet side of the bridge), all traffic appears to be standard wired ethernet traffic. To the wireless router, all traffic from the ZP appears to be normal wireless traffic. Thats the magic of the bridge - it converts from one format to the other and either side of the bridge doesn't have to know that it's talking to the bridge.

Depending on which device (PC or ZP)) needs to have a more solid and fast access to the NAS, you could plug it either into the wireless router or the ZP. Will work either way, though it will probably slow down writing to the NAS from the PC if you plug it into the ZP as you're now transiting the wireless link to do it.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Nick and DannChurch:

THANK YOU very much for the explanation and patience.

I think I finally got it figured out. I will connect my ZP#1 to a wireless bridge. My NAS will be connect to my wireless router which is not that far away so I foresee any issues with connection quality. ZP#2 will be downstairs somewhere.

Ok, not got to convince the wife to let me drop $2K for Sonos, wireless bridge, and buffalo NAS.

Anyone got any ideas on how to convince the wife? Or should i just do it and ask for forgiveness later?