Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Music

Old May 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Default Internet Radio & Rhapsody frequently just STOP playin

Have 3 ZPs and 2 controllers, and can rarely get anything to play uninterrupted for more than about 30 minutes tops. I can just hit "play" after it stops and music resumes instantly.

Files on my network HDDs will stop playing for 3-10 seconds and resume by itself.

Internet and Rhapsody will stop and I have to hit play to resume.

All zoneplayers are wired via ethernet, and are all "in range".

Its getting pretty annoying.

BTW, rhapsody / internet radio will play for hours and hours on any PC in the house.

- Chris
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:26 AM

Hi iamjcl,

It sounds like you have an environment specific issue.

Please contact Sonos support @ 800-680-2345 or http://www.sonos.com/support and one of our engineers will work with you to resolve this.

Thanks, Chris.
Old May 16th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Default Is your HDD on a wirelessly connected computer

I wonder if your computer with the HDD is connected wirelessly or wired?

You mention all the ZP are connected with wires. But if the computer with the HDD is connected wirelessly, this could be the problem.

All ZPs talk to each other using Sonos's own wireless software. But if the computer is connected with standard 802.11 software, that's your weak link. I use a configuration like this and do see interruptions when my computer loses it's wireless connection. The solution is to get a NAS.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the replies.

All machines are connected via gigabit ethernet switches, with the sonos units being some of the only 10/100 devices.

I do have a laptop running 802.11G, but it is unrelated to the sonos loop.

BTW, the issue was mostly caused by my router, it turns out, as analysis of the data sent to Sonos showed almost constant "topology" changes.

Defeating the router function of my Alcatel Speedtouch pro, and PP0E'ing from a linksys RP314 router to the alcatel, and letting the RP314 do the DHCP and routing functions mostly fixed the issue.

I say mostly because now internet radio will play for (normally) at least an hour, maybe more, whereas before it was mostly about 10-15 minutes tops, before needing to hit "play" again. Analysis of new ZP data after changing the router setup shows the "topology" changes have been largely eliminated.

Still room for improvement, however.

-Thanks

-Chris