Go Back   Sonos Forums > Sound Ideas

View Poll Results: If Sonos made a wireless headset that used their Sonos technology, would you buy one?
Yes! I would definitely buy one. 7 50.00%
No, I don't see the need for that product. 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 02:27 AM

Thumbs up Sonos Zone Headphones

What about a set of Sonos wireless headphones that appear as a zone on the controller?

I luv been about to stream my music to every speaker, I know you can using line-out you can setup up headphones, but it's fair from ideal, so I suggesting something altogether 'simplier' - pick up your headphones, select what you want to listen to on that 'zone', (play it loud - optional ) and not disturb anyone else in the house.

I know by saying "simplier", this by definition means it'll be harder to implement. But hay look at what the Sonos team did the first time they tried something 'never done before'. )

What do you think?
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 04:41 AM

I love it. I am not a headphone user, but it is off the scale in the "cool" department.

Challenges might be the power usage of the Wifi technology. I mean the weight of the battery to support it.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Great idea. Was going to suggest the same thing.

Get a project going with somebody like Sennheiser, and you have one more great product in your line-up.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 02:47 AM

Battery lifetime: aprox. 2-3 hours

I don't think i ever would listen for longer than that on a headphone set.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Thumbs up

Never say never.

However 2\3 hours sounds about right.

If Sonos had something like this, they'd be miles (yet again) ahead of the competition.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 06:42 AM

You'd need a large laptop battery to keep wi-fi running for 2-3hrs...not gonna happen really.

I sync my music library with an iPod...much easier.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:20 PM

I can't imagine that the hardware engineers at Sonos are sitting around doing nothing. My guess is that we will see a lighter, less voluminous controller with a head phone jack and enough memory to allow you take some of your tunes on the road.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM

I have a Palm T|X that can do much of what you ask for.

While it's great for picking up an email or a quick weather report, if the WiFi is on full time you can watch the battery indicator tick off 1% every few seconds.

Lots of things can be done to minimize the power used by processors, memory, displays, and internal disk drives, but you need a certain amount of power (or a large antenna) to achieve any practical distance with WiFi.

Without waiting for a SONOS product, one could use just about any wireless headphone plugged into a ZonePlayer.
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:04 AM

Not asking for it. It's just what I think we will get. ...and the way to get around the the battery problem is to a) lower the bit rate on the controller upstream (transmit) link, and b) improve the receive sensitivity with better radios or antennas on the zone players.

Last edited by dtohmatsu; May 2nd, 2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Digital Expert

I'm still waiting for the sonos boombox.

Maybe a small iPod sized ZP with a head phone jack and an FM transmitter to send music to your own boombox.

3 ZP100's; 1 ZP80; 1 Pair SP100's; 1 CR100; 1 CR200; 1 BR100.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
headphone