Go Back   Sonos Forums > The Unsupported Area

Old Apr 7th, 2007, 03:14 AM

Default 12V trigger ?

Quick one for anyone who's messed around with a ZP

Has anyone found any sort of trigger when a ZP is in "Play" mode ?

3,5, or 12v for example ? Anything anywhere on the mobo ??

Im thinking this is a possible way out of the hole that is created when using a ZP80 on a shared amp (ie auto selection)...

I can do all this with an XBOX with autodetection, and the same logic would apply.

tia
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Default 12v option

http://www.cbav.com/Merchant2/mercha...ory_Code =RVS

this looks like the deal- soon to try one
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:16 AM

Palmlodge

Why do you need this?

I have my AVR and Sonos sharing speakers in my Living Room, I use a Russsound AS-1/S speaker switch that uses 12v as the Switch, but it uses 12v from the AV Amp and 0v to switch to the Sonos (i.e. the AV Amp is not on). The solution is excellent.

Alternatively, there are a number of products (e.g. the non-slave version of the Russound switch, the vanilla AS-1), that will "listen" to the output of a device and switch when it detects noise and importantly also output a 12v.

BJ
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 09:37 AM

All the other equipment in the lounge, incuding the ceiling speakers, are in place.

All devices are linked in to the house control system, and the AV Amp automatically turns on/off/input selection where required.

Except for Sonos - this requires manual intervention and not easy when the amp isnt even in the lounge.

The plasma and speakers are in the room, but all other av equipment are located in the central rack.

Hence, I need something from sonos, either with or without a voltage, that i can detect a "play" command from.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Do you have a ZP80 or a ZP100?

If you have a ZP100 that and your AV Amp could share the speakers using a speaker switch (like the AS-1/S). This is how mine is set up, i.e. if I have the AV Amp on (Satelite TV, DVD, Xbox etc) the amp sends a 12v control voltage and gains control of the speakers. If the amp is off the switch defaults to the Sonos. It works a charm for me.

If the control voltage when the Sonos is absolutely necessary than you could get it if you are using a ZP100 by use a switch like the AS-1. You get the switch to "monitor" the output from the ZP (you can set it the threshold and duration to stop false trips and quite periods in classical music of gaps between songs triggering it), it will generate a control voltage when the source is playing something.

BJ
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM

ZP80

Im aware of the speaker detection module, but loath to spend $100 on something the sonos could provide.

Also, the amp doesnt have 12v output triggers.

Im going to open it up, get the specs of the dsp, and see what signals it sends out
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM

It is interesting that there is always a spending threshold that consumers won't cross.

Here we have a situation where $$$$ have been invested, but we need a final $100 to make the system great ... but that $100 is over the comfort threshold -- so we sit and fume and scheme and hack something.

It's just an observation, not a critique -- I've been there, done that, and will probably do it again.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM

buzz

cant disagree with you - ive spent a small fortune on my control systems (my 7 zone sonos is not the cheapest by far).

But i feel cheated by having to spend $100 on a "solution" - but its not guaranteed to work, all the time, every time.

I dont like layers of 'fudge' :-)
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmlodge View Post
m[ ... ]
- but its not guaranteed to work, all the time, every time.

I dont like layers of 'fudge' :-)
I agree, and the real bummer is that we know up front that the auto sensing solution will be imperfect.

The solution with a ZP100 and a relay keyed from the receiver's switched outlet works very well. If you are into building something, wire your own relay -- the relays used by those switches are, er, not premium.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:47 AM

Buzz

Receiver's switched outlet ? Could you elaborate ?

A volt-free switch is enough for me to take that into the house system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
I agree, and the real bummer is that we know up front that the auto sensing solution will be imperfect.

The solution with a ZP100 and a relay keyed from the receiver's switched outlet works very well. If you are into building something, wire your own relay -- the relays used by those switches are, er, not premium.