Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Default Importing iTunes Playlists

I'm not sure if anyone else is having a problem importing playlists created in iTunes into Sonos.

Here's what I ***think*** I know:
  • Sonos will only import a file called "iTunes Music Library.xml" regerdless of format (OK that's not technically true but thats the only file produced by iTunes I've managed to get it to read - If I export a song list I need to rename it before it gets imported)
  • Sonos has a limit on the number of playlist items it will import
  • Since v7 iTunes library contains a playlist called "Music" which contains all music items
  • Sonos does not only import user created playlists
  • If you have >15k items in your library it's quite easy to hit the limit
  • iTunes Smart playlists do let you do some clever stuff I for one would like to import into Sonos
  • I'm comfortable with iTunes: I like the folder structure it maintains; find it easy to add album art to tracks; like it's podcast download abilities. Consequently it's how I put new stuff into my library.

I'd like Sonos to do some work on this - I cannot really be the only person suffering this problem - but I'm not sure they will any time soon.

I don't want to have to learn a new app.

I could manually edit the itunes file before an import to remove the music library but its a pain; it 27Mb; and I'd only know I'd made a mistake when I did the import.

I haven't found another solution, although if there is one please tell me.

Consequently, I've written myself a little utility. Here's what it does:
  • It allows you to choose which playlists to copy
  • It allows you to specify where to create a file called "iTunes Music Library.xml" for importing by Sonos
  • It allows you to specify an interval in minutes, hours or days when it will run.
  • You can run now
  • It uses iTunes COM interface so does not require you to close iTunes to get the library updated.
  • It will backup previous versions of the library file.

Here's what it isn't:
  • Particularly fast - I should probably have gone for a different playlist file format but I'd already started trying to work out what Sonos was looking for.
  • Supported
  • In any way sanctioned by Sonos or Apple
  • Fully tested
  • A service - I wanted it to be but couldn't get the iTunes COM stuff working when it was and ran out of time to pursue the matter.
  • Efficient. If a track is in more than one playlist it goes into the library again even though it isn't needed.
  • A replacement library for iTunes - I only put into the file the fields that Sonos seem to need (there are probably still too many but again I got bored of rerunning the import to see what I could live without)
  • Guaranteed to work on your box. It runs on my 2 XP machines, that's all I can tell you.
  • Downloadable. I haven't easily got anywhere to host it, so I cannot point you to it.

But if you want a copy you're welcome - send me a message/leave a comment and I'll email you (it's about 600kb)
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Default RE: iTunes Playlists

I recently wrote a small application to create a small database of my music for my pocketPC, pretty handy when you're at the store and you aren't 100% certain that you don't already own a particular CD. I was going to use the COM interface to iTunes but found it was easier to simply read in the XML file.

If you don't mind sharing your source code I'd be more than happy to try to incorporate that functionality into a windows service as I'm also a little ticked with the new iTunes and the additional playlists it created.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Default Source

You're welcome to it if you want it - it's in Delphi & uncommented.

The primary reason for using COM over the XML was that one of the playlists I want is "recently added" but I tend not to turn off the machine iTunes is on very often so the xml is often very out-of-date.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Default RE: iTunes Playlists

That make sense for the 'recently added' playlist. I'll do a little work to the program I had written (C# .NET) and post to this board when it's done.

Funny, I had never thought about creating my own music library XML file for the sonos system to filter the playlists from iTunes.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 01:09 AM

Default Filtering

I actually think it's something Sonos should consider - again I'm probably not alone in having a number of utility playlists that I use to make smart ones that I don't ever play and would only clutter up Sonos.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:49 AM

Post Any update?

Hi all,
Anyone ever update this? Thom, I'd love a copy of the utility if you have one. I'm running into the same problem as you now with wanting to import only some itunes playlists. Hmm, here's to hoping sonos adds real support for this in future versions.

Brian
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Default No Problem

Brian

I'll send you what I've got. It works for me, until Sonos bring something more comprehensive to the table.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM

Default Importing iTunes playlists

Sorry it took me so long to get this up here. I was waiting until I actually got my Sonos system and could test it in a real world environment. I finally got my system this weekend and it's AWESOME. I'm sure that I don't have to say that the only drawbacks I find with it are the number of songs allowed in a playlist, the synchronization with iTunes for playlist management (with iTunes 7 that is) and the inability to just replace the current queue with the selection I want to play. These issues have been discusses here in great detail.

Anyway, here it the utility that I'm using (fresh off the compiler) to limit my playlists for Sonos. I re-wrote the UI in vb.net. If anybody is interested in the source code, just let me know.

Utility can be downloaded here: http://www.cobco.net/files/playlistpicker.rar
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Default thanx

i just got my sonos yesterday & tech support was unable to help me with my missing playlists, other than to figure out why it was failing (the limit on number of items). just tried cob666' utility & after installing .net 2.0 so i could run it had great success. thanx!

--cz
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Default Welcome

Glad I could be of some assistance. I'll post if/when I make any modifications. If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.