Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:06 AM

Default How to move iTunes file to NAS (LaCie)

I cant move the iTunes Music Folder to my NAS device (LaCie mini 250 GB).
I actually allready moved most of the files to NAS through drag and drop, so I can play them now through Sonos. I also want iTunes to work like before (iTunes cant find the files now) and when I rip a new cd I want files on the right place automatically.

I go advanced settings in iTunes and click on the move iTunes folder, then the computer want me to connect to the NAS but nothing happens when I do that (password "admin").

Do anyone know this issue?

What to do?

Ty
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 02:01 PM

Hi i had the same problem, moved my files to the nas and it all worked fine until i opened iTunes and it was all blank, you have to go to file on iTunes and import and browse until you find your files in your nas and import them..It worked on mine ..
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:37 PM

Are you on windows or mac?

In either case it is easy to change the position of your iTunes library using the 'Advanced' tab under Preferences. You should be able to specify the path of your NAS device target folder here.

Then from the main toolbar - goto Advanced, and click on Consolidate Library. This will copy all your songs to the new Library location without deleting the old ones and iTunes will adjust the paths for every track to the new location.

The problem that I have found, however, is that the external drive MUST be mapped/mounted before iTunes starts, else it will default to its standard location without warning, and all subsequent rips will be in the default location. This has caused a lot of problems for me in the past. You can get windows to automount external drives by assigning a drive letter (map network drive) and asking it to connect on restart. However I think Win2K and WinXP Pro behave slightly different from WinXP Home with regards to mounting of external drives, especially if you need to logon with a username and password. You could create a batchfile to automount if you have XP Home. For MacOS, again there is a similar problem. Most NAS units share via SMB, and by default, MacOS does not automount SMB shares. However, you can automount if you share via NFS or AppleTalk or by using some external utilities to automount SMB shares.

Last edited by Nikhil; Nov 1st, 2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:58 AM

Thanks for your reply guys.

Im a Mac user, OSX.

I tried your tricks but nothing works. Whatever I try to do, import iTunes list in file menu or redirect iTunes libery in advanced settings, the computer says I have to connect to NAS and require a password, I tried all options but NAS do not connect.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM

OK .. I must confess I am a little confused now.

Are you able to connect to your NAS from your mac at all? I am not familiar with the LaCie NAS, but it must most certainly have SMB sharing; additionally it may or may not have AppleTalk sharing. Which are you using to connect? Does the NAS show up in your Finder/on Your Desktop? Can you browse the NAS? Do you normally need a password? Can you disable the password on the NAS?

I know this sounds painful, but we need to completely understand your problem before we can suggest a possible solution.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 09:39 AM

If you hold down command (apple) and alt and then click to open iTunes it asks where the library is or if you would like to create a new one.

If anyone can help with permanent drive mapping on OS X please let me know....

Thanks
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shevans
If you hold down command (apple) and alt and then click to open iTunes it asks where the library is or if you would like to create a new one.

If anyone can help with permanent drive mapping on OS X please let me know....

Thanks
Are you referring to automounting of shares on OSX? I guess that is the closest equivalent of Permanent Drive mapping on Windows.

There are a couple of options out there, YMMV

http://www.hornware.com/sharepointsautomounter/

http://www.macfixitforums.com/showth...w=&sb=&o=&vc=1
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil
Many thanks, wish it was just in-built into OS X