Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Default SOnos & Costco

Sonos is now available on Costco.com at a discounted price. Intro bundle $1099!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Mike - Sonos

Hi All,

Costco is not an Authorized Sonos Dealer. So, orders placed thru them will not be fulfilled by us.

Best Regards,
-Mike
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Digital Expert

Wow, thats good to know, thanks for informing us Mike.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Digital Expert

So does this mean that costco does not actually have any units to ship/sell...seems odd for a company of that size/recognition would offer for sale merchandise that it cannot fullfill.

If they can fulfill it then I am not sure exactly what the earlier statement that sonos will not fulfill the orders means.

Please clarify.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:45 PM

Mike is probably referring to the warranty, though I'd like to know how Costco is obtaining the product if not from Sonos!?

Funny thing is, Crutchfield, who is an authorized reseller, hasn't had stock on the intro bundle for the last couple of weeks (at least).

The problem for Sonos with Costco selling the unit is that by rejecting support and warranty coverage, they risk giving their product a bad name. Of course, that hasn't stopped other audio companies either, but I'm not sure it's good business.

Costco even mentions that they are not an authorized dealer and that the product may not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. They do offer their guarantee to refund your purchase price if you are not completely satisfied - anybody know what time period, if any, this applies to?

Frank
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Digital Expert

Question

Costco has a very generous return policy, for at least one year after purchase they will refund your money if you have any problems.

This would seem to be a good option for a Sonos purchase, and I don't see a downside for Sonos, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Can someone from Sonos explain why a Costco purchase is not as good as a direct purchase?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Digital Expert

Default Now I'm confused

Isn't the warranty provided by the manufacturer not the retailler? Is costco selling 2nds then? Is Sonos selling the products to Costco or is the manufactorer of the device for Sonos selling directly to Costco?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Digital Expert

Talking

Costco sounds like the outlet to purchase a bundle to tear apart for mods. If you destroy it in a year they will take it back for refund. And since they are not the manufacturer they won't know it was tampered with, just that it was not satisfactory.

Hey...don't worry...I might be devious enough to think this but I am way to stupid to know what I was looking at when I opened one.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman
Can someone from Sonos explain why a Costco purchase is not as good as a direct purchase?

Costco is a good company, with a great return policy. But the bottom line is that they are not an authorized reseller.

That means that they have received no training and are not capable of supporting you in your purchase of Sonos products.

Additionally, products purchased from an unauthorized reseller are not assured of receiving:

warranty repair service
technical support
future upgrades

thanks, chris
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:35 PM

Gray market stuff is always disrupting to the market.

The official distributer invests a lot of time and energy (money) developing a product and introducing it into the market. There are advertising, trade shows, dealer education, sending units to reviewers, website, etc. expenses. The distributor may have been investing money into their product for years before the first unit was sold. Typically the warranty is funded by the distrubuter in each country or region. Everybody knows that a few units will fail and part of the selling price is reserved for honoring the warranty promise. The warranty is an incentive for the customer to purchase a unit. Warranties vary by region. US warranties are somewhat longer than others.

The gray marketer somehow obtains popular units and, since he has not incurred any of the expenses the developing company, typically not funding any sort of warranty, can easily undercut the distributor's price and make a fast sale.

None of this activity is particularly illegal or immoral -- after all, capitalism is supposed to deliver the lowest possible price to the consumer. However, asking the original distributer to provide warranty service for a unit it never sold is not quite fair.

If the gray marketer does a really good job of selling lots of cheap units, he could put the original distributor out of business. At that point the gray marketer loses interest in the unit, because without advertising and support the product is no longer attractive -- gray marketers want easy sales. The gray marketer then moves on to the next hot item, and the original product, distributor, and product support fade into history.