Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Music

Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Default Tag&Rename, Flac and Sonos

I am just getting my Sonos system setup and after much reading of these and other forums have decided to rip my main library of music into flac format using EAC. I have set this up and all seems to work fine for ripping and initial tagging.

A lot of EAC/flac rippers report on these, and other, forums using Tag&Rename to manage tags in their flac files. Here lies my problem. Lets say that I rip my CDs using the following flac settings (similar to settings reported on these forums by chocomonsters):

-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "COMPOSER=%p" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%A" %s

A check using metaflac indicates that tags have been correctly set. Now, lets say that I then modify the content of one of the tags using Tag&Rename. Checking the tag data again using metaflac indicates that Tag&Rename has overwriten all of the tags names, deleting several and in particular changing the ALBUMARTIST tag to ENSEMBLE.

I have two questions:

1. What initial flac tagging settings do most flac rippers use that works well with Sonos for managing Artist, Album Artist, Composer etc.

2. How do Tag&Rename flac users ensure that Tag&Rename preserves the format of their initial flac tags, only changing the actual tag values as required?

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 05:20 PM
Sonos Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikrananka
I am just getting my Sonos system setup and after much reading of these and other forums have decided to rip my main library of music into flac format using EAC. I have set this up and all seems to work fine for ripping and initial tagging.

A lot of EAC/flac rippers report on these, and other, forums using Tag&Rename to manage tags in their flac files. Here lies my problem. Lets say that I rip my CDs using the following flac settings (similar to settings reported on these forums by chocomonsters):

-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "COMPOSER=%p" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%A" %s

A check using metaflac indicates that tags have been correctly set. Now, lets say that I then modify the content of one of the tags using Tag&Rename. Checking the tag data again using metaflac indicates that Tag&Rename has overwriten all of the tags names, deleting several and in particular changing the ALBUMARTIST tag to ENSEMBLE.

I have two questions:

1. What initial flac tagging settings do most flac rippers use that works well with Sonos for managing Artist, Album Artist, Composer etc.

2. How do Tag&Rename flac users ensure that Tag&Rename preserves the format of their initial flac tags, only changing the actual tag values as required?

Thanks for any help.

This sounds more like a Tag&Rename issue of over writing all the tags when only one is being modified. Perhaps they will have a better answer to why they tag the way they do.

Are you using the WRITE TAGS option or simply modifying the tag and choosing to save?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.