Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Default What do I need?

Hi

I what do I need if in terms of Sonos stuff (or other) if I will be able to play my music stored on my Mac in iTunes.

Will be able to play and control the music in two rooms (and maybe be able to listen to the music in a third room).

One of the two rooms are a rather big room (about 80 sqaure metres), probably need 2 pair of speakers. I have an old (Denom) amplifier and a CD-player which I also want to use.

The second room is smaller and just need one set of speakers.

My home is newly renovated and equipped with a wired network (Lexcom Home), Cat5 cables.

Any suggestions what I need to be able to achieve this on a rather tight budget.

All the best

Friss
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Hello Friss, welcome to the forums.

Essentially you have most of what you need already.

For each area in which you wish to play music you need a zone player. This will support 2 pair of speakers at 4-8ohms total impedence.

You'll also need a controller, ideally the wireless Sonos CR100 controller. Alternatively a Mac or PC can be used.

Assuming you already have your home network setup with an internet router, you just plug your Zone players in and point the system to your iTunes folder. Sonos will play any music in your iTunes library, as long as it wasn't bought from the iTunes Music Store (ITMS). Apple deliberately restrict ITMS music so it won't play on any system without the Apple logo.

2 Zone players are available, the ZP100 which includes an amp for connection to separate speakers such as the Sonos SP100s.

The ZP80 Zone player allows connection to an existing amp/speakers like your Denon.

You can add as many Zone Players and controllers as you like, up to 32 zones and 32 contollers.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 10:09 PM

Thanks for your quick reply RO53BEN

You are right, I allready have a router in my network so itīs just plug and play in zone 1. Iīm keen to keep the initial costs down a bit, so I have a couple of additional questions to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO53BEN
You'll also need a controller, ideally the wireless Sonos CR100 controller. Alternatively a Mac or PC can be used.
Do you have the same interface on your computer as in the Sonos controller?
This is an good idea to control the music from the comp. My Mac are located very close to the second room where I want to listen to music (I can add another Sonos controller in the future to spread the costs).

Can you control both zones from one controller/computer?

Can I bring the Sonos controller from room 1 to room 2, when you want music in only room 2?

Can you adjust the volume from the controller/computer or do I have to do that from my amplifier with ZP80 Zone player?

Did I get it right. Onen zone player can power 2 pair of speakers (but maybe not so "big" ones (in W))

Regards

Friss
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:06 AM

Do you have the same interface on your computer as in the Sonos controller?

No, the desktop controller has a very diffent UI but it's pretty intuitive. Both controllers have their good points and bad points. For example the keyboard on the desktop controller makes it easier to type playlist names.

Can you control both zones from one controller/computer?

This is the beauty of Sonos, you can control any zone from any controller. The zones can be managed seperately or 'linked' which allows the same music to be played in all the linked zones. Volume control of all linked zones can be performed in one easy step.

Can I bring the Sonos controller from room 1 to room 2, when you want music in only room 2?

Controllers are not tied to a zone in any way, it will just have a loose association to one of your zones players. This is generally the zone that was closest when you powered the controller up.

Can you adjust the volume from the controller/computer or do I have to do that from my amplifier with ZP80 Zone player?

All Sonos zone players have a volume output control that can be managed from the desktop or handheld controllers. In the case of the ZP-80 and a separate amp you will end up with 2 volume controls - one on the ZP-80 which acts as a pre-amp and one on the external amplifier. Managing this can be a little tricky if you're using other input sources on the external amplifier.

Did I get it right. Onen zone player can power 2 pair of speakers (but maybe not so "big" ones (in W))

It's the impedence that counts, not the size of the speakers. The max output however is limited to the zone player amp, 80W.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:29 AM

Great, RO53BEN.

Now I know what I need to start with (i.e one ZP 100, one ZP 80 and one Sonos controller + speakers).

Oh, just a last one. Any drawbacks to have a ZP 80, in my second zone, and active speakers (or is it better with ZP 100 and "inactive" speakers)?

Thanks a lot for your answers

//Friss
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisyren
Oh, just a last one. Any drawbacks to have a ZP 80, in my second zone, and active speakers (or is it better with ZP 100 and "inactive" speakers)?

Thanks a lot for your answers

//Friss
Choose whichever suits your requirement better. Active speakers would let you buy a ZP-80 bundle which would reduce costs a little.

The ZP-100 amplifiers are very good though and shouldn't be underestimated.