Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 05:09 AM

Default adding a volume control to 1/2 of my speaker set-up

I know it has been covered in other areas to a degree, but I want to be sure I'm not going to damage my sonos unit. I am currently running four 8 ohm speakers off of one ZP100. I am looking to put a volume control unit on only one pair of speakers, and leave the other pair without a volume control. This is because one set will be on 100% of the time that I am listening to my sonos, while the other pair of speakers I'll only be adding in about 20% of my listening time with this ZP. I understand I need an impedence matching volume control unit. I plan to have my speakers which are "always on" when playing going right into the sonos. And the other would go to the volume control unit and then to the sonos as well. My question is given this set-up, should I strap the one volume control for 1x, 2x, 4x, or 8x. And this is with a solid assumption that no further speakers will be added in the future. Thanks-Jim
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:44 AM

/looks around for Buzz...
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 01:20 PM

RockDoc,

If both pairs of speakers are 8-Ohms, you could strap the control at 1x.

From your description, you could do fine with a simple switch to turn the 2nd speakers off.

In the old days we had to order controls at a specific "x". You needed to be familiar with the manufacturer's color code if you encountered a control in the field, because the controls were not marked. Now the controls have jumpers that can be changed at any time. If you decide to add more speakers, you can change the jumpers on the installed controls when you add speakers in the future.

If you decide to use volume controls rather than a simple switch, I strongly recommend installing controls on each pair of speakers. In my opinion, the small dollar savings is offset by not being able to balance the volume in the two rooms. If the control is strapped at anything beyond 1x, the proplem will become worse. If you decide to use only one control, attach it to the speakers in the smaller room.
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:45 PM

I have a similar question - 2 pairs of speakers, each pair going to a volume control, which in turn connect to a single ZP100.

The speakers are all 8 ohms - from what you've said, do I set the jumpers to x1?
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 11:21 PM

velocitycurve,

1x is fine in your situation. If you decide to add more speakers to that ZP100, change the volume control strapping.