Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 04:56 AM

Post Network problem. Sonos problem. Maybe both?

I have been happy with my Sonos system since I installed it a couple of months ago. However, I seem to have some problems that might be related to Sonos maybe my network. I can't work out which problems are network/PC related and which are Sonos related. Please bear with me when explaining the full situation.

Symptoms:
When I first installed the system I temporarily hard wired a laptop with a few tracks on it to the first zoneplayer. I have since disconnected the laptop and also moved the zoneplayer to a different location. I have moved other zoneplayers as well. All zoneplayers are hard wired, three of them being right on top of each other. (But how am I to know if the have decided to connect wireless?)

Recently it seems that controllers don't find the zoneplayers easy anymore. I used to be able to take a controller to the bathroom and have a signal there. Now I only get one red bar.

I often experience that a controller will "freeze" for a while (5-25 secs.) In the meantime I will have tried to press a number of different buttons on the controller, and as they seems to be buffered, suddenly everything happens at once. It happens for all my 3 controllers, also despite being in the same room (sometimes near) as a zoneplayer.

I have several PCs on the network. They are not always on. 2 are windows file servers and 2 XP machines. (Not domain controllers!) All PCs use DHCP and get an IP from the router. In the event viewer I have been getting messages like:

"The name "WORKGROUP :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address192.168.1.11. The machine with the IP address 192.168.1.3 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine."

and

"The IP address lease 192.168.1.18 for the Network Card with network address 0013D499122E has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)." **my router is 192.168.1.1**

I clearly have network problems as I get a "Workgroup not accessible" if I try and browse the network. I have tried to set the Master browser service to manual (instead of automatic) but that hasn't helped any.

1) Does the moving around and disconnecting the original laptop have any significance? How can I reset the system for all components to reconnect in the new configuation?

2) Can the network problems be interrelated to the Sonos problems?

3) and lastly, as a separate problem my broadband connection is extremely slow and my ISP ask me to do a test every now and again. This is a download where speed is calculated by how long a specific download takes. How can I be sure the Sonos system is not generating any traffic? Does internet traffic stop when I press the pause button having listened to internet radio? Is there a way to be sure Sonos is not generating traffic apart from turning all zoneplayers off?

Thanks for listening...

Last edited by greenDay; Oct 5th, 2006 at 04:58 AM.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:21 AM

greenDay,

Yes, if your network is not healthy, SONOS can have trouble communicating.

A complete restart is often the fastest way of resolving hard to describe network problems.

First, power down everything on your network -- modem, router, PC's, SONOS, VOIP, everything

Next, restart the modem and allow it to completely finish its boot process.

Next, restart the router and allow it to finish it's boot.

Finally, restart the remaing devices.

Do you have any devices that use a fixed IP address?

---

If you pause a SONOS ZonePlayer while listening to an Internet radio station, all Internet activity for that zone (and any linked zones) will stop. If you mute a zone, the sound will stop, but Internet activity will continue.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM

No devices using fixed IP.

I have decided to try and solve the network problems first and then see how the Sonos behaves. Following that I will do a complete restart as you suggested.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Sonos SQA Administrator

To answer a couple of your questions greenDay.

ZonePlayers will use whatever connection has the least amount of latency. So if they are hardwired, they will use that connection. At the same time, the wireless is never turned off to communicate with the handheld Controllers. The problems you are seeing with the handheld Controllers sounds like wireless interference or something spamming your network, like a faulty switch. Please shoot support@sonos.com an email and include this forum post. I believe a diagnostic will point us in the right direction to troubleshoot this issue.

I don't think the messages you are seeing in the event viewer are directly related to your Sonos problems. The reboot that buzz mentions is good in any case as it clears the DHCP table and anything that might be cached on the modem or router.

Thanks,
Jason