Go Back   Sonos Forums > Sound Ideas

Old Mar 27th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Digital Expert

Default Zoneplayer with Surround Sound 5.1

Just a thought, a few friends I have been recommending Sonos to have asked if this system has surround sound for their living rooms, this has made me think. Now Sonos are providing their own speakers, what about a surround sound system for the living room/ TV room. A zoneplayer could be intergrated into a sub-woofer with 5 speaker outputs for left, right, centre, Lback, Rback. This would make it easier as an intergrator to propose Sonos as the investment starts in the main area where it would be listened to the most, and expanded as required by extra zoneplayers. Would like other comments on this.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Digital Expert

HELLO!! I can't believe no one has responded to this thread. Everyone is talking about "ampless model"......why not make the SONOS the mainstay. Increase the amp size, add 5.1 surround, add more input jacks, in essence make the SONOS the main component. I had the pleasure of installing a BOSE System48 for a friend with 4 other rooms or 'zones'. SONOS is just like it, but with the ability to play music off a computer. Why not take the plunge and make it the main A/V component? Support for Videos and pictures off of a computer would be nice to! I want to get one, but I want to wait to see the next generation. Come on Sonos........please!!!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Actually, I think targeting the Sonos at a particular niche to start with isn't necessarily a bad idea. First do something well, THEN worry about doing everything else.

Anyhow...one of the main problems with supporting surround is that most "computer" based music formats (MP3, AAC, WAV, etc.) are still largely stereo-only. Most, in fact, STRICTLY stereo-only (although I don't know offhand which ones). So even if you did have amplifiers and outputs for 5 speakers, your source material would still only be in stereo. Given the current state of those formats, I don't think Sonos' lack of support for 5.1 is a huge issue.

There are, however, probably suitable products out there for those looking for a streaming "media" player (audio AND video). Me, I'm perfectly happy with the niche the Sonos currently occupies. (an alternative to expensive "whole house audio" solutions)
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 05:51 AM

I agree with Leif, though it should not be too much of a stretch to add a video out to all zone player models (even the future amp-less ones and use Sonos for at least digital photos, if not video. The latter is where the audio surround comes into play, and I'd rather see a digital out for the audio for that purpose (on an amp-less model, hint than an all-in-one box Sonos with built-in sub and surround amps.

Frank
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Digital Expert

Question Surround Sound 5.1 (actually 3+2.1)

There has been talk of adding surround sound support to zoneplayers.

Why not leaverage the best of ZPs by using one ZP player for the front LHS, Middle, LHS channels and the other ZP as the player for the rear LHS,Sub,RHS channels. A ZP with 5.1 decoder input would auto sense a line attached to the input jack triggering it to switch the rear 2.1 channels to the zone player acting (software designated) as the rear LHS,Sub,RHS channels. This would reduce the complexity of the hardware dev mods: 5.1 in and an extra centre line out.

It could be sold as: say a ZPS(urround) and bundled with an existing ZP to make a total 5.1 solution.

I think this would be an effective solution for many people looking to resolve the sterio music listening and surround sound listening (TV, DVD etc.) impasse in one neat package.

It's certainly what I'd be looking for!

I'd buy a ZPS, 2 ZPs(one for music listening in the study) and a controller in a flash. Alas ... Just waiting for you guys to export.

Cheers
Simon
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Digital Expert

Exclamation ZP Surround Sound 5.1 Mark II

Sleep does wonders for ideas.
I'm guessing the surround sound idea is already there in the labs but so you know the world of consumer thought likes the ZP idea very much and sees great potential for it.
I suspect for many of us the idea of a fully integrated sterio and surround sound system has real merit. Why double up on hardware when the proposed system below would allow a person to remove redundant hardware from their entertainment area. The idea of a single ZP system that is able to cover, wireless, sterio, surround, (video streaming) would make it very appealing and good sense to the consumer public too!

Assumptions:
  1. The ZP has enough spare processing power to do softare decoding of the digital 5.1 stream.
  2. Digital input is added to a ZP.
  3. Mods to the Sub Crossover if it's done in HW.
With 5.1 ditital input to the ZP designated in user setup as FRONT the player would switch its sub channel to a Mid channel and stream the LR Rear channels and Sub channel to the ZP designated REAR.

Results:
  1. All decoding could be done in software. Less HW mods.
  2. If a sub received a 5.1 digital stream with no designated FRONT and REAR ZP the stream would simply be decoded as sterio for the ZP that received the input.
  3. The only mod required to the external features of a ZP would be the addition of a digital input line.
Does this make sense to those more fully in the know about surround sound stuff because it seems like a good idea to me.

Cheers
Simon
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 04:19 AM

You already have the ability to listen to 5.1 with sonos.
The ZP80 is able to pass through a DD-Wav or 5.1 Flac file via digital out to your AV-Receiver. This works great.
I converted the audio of all of my (copy unprotected) Music-DVDs to DD-WAV Files.

Oli
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Question adding a digital input line

adding a digital input is what i'm waiting for!

Nearly every DVD or BlueRay player has a digital sound output (optical or koax). I think a digital input is what a ZonePlayer needs! With such an input the sonos system could be used for a HomeCinema!
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 12:48 AM

Default Surround sound setup (5.1 CONNECT)

I had a quick search but couldn't find this idea anywhere else.

Was thinking that SONOS does a great job when it comes to music but is missing out on the home theater front.

If a SONOS CONNECT had a digital input to which you could plug a television or bluray player, then using the software setup a true 5.1 surround sound setup in the one room, this would remove the need for a bulky receiver. Then with software options to change the sound setup (all stereo, 5.1, 7.1 etc.)

High quality wireless surround systems are a dime a dozen.

Price wouldn't be too extravagant compared to a high end system either.

For example:
Dual zone amp: $800-$1200
Dali surround sound (2 towers, 2 book shelves, center and sub): $2600
Plus speaker wire (100mtrs): $300-$600.
TOTAL: $3700-$4400

Where as with SONOS
3 x PLAY 3's: $1257
2 x PLAY 5's: $1198
SUB: $999
BRIDGE : $79
TOTAL $3533

Which means you could charge a THOUSAND DOLLARS for this 5.1 CONNECT and still be a bargain.
Not to mention install costs, painful calibrations PLUS you then get all the functionality of having all the music in the world through your system. This way you could also send ANY digital that comes into the 5.1 CONNECT to any zone in your setup (it wouldn't discriminate like most current amps do)
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 10:21 AM

Default Good idea...

I like this idea, but am not sure we'll all talking about the same thing.

What I'd really like to see is that my existing (and future) Sonos equipment could be used to as output for a TV/Home theater. While I really like the Sonos equipment, I loath having more than one audio system in my house.

5.1 would be fine. Why not have Sonos support home theater output with as many speakers as you've got? I believe most multi-channel digial out has 2-channel option. If I only have a single Play5, use that. If I have a Play5 and two Play3s, use them. If I set up 5 Sonos speakers, great.

The biggest obstacle to be purchasing the Sonos Sub is the I don't want to have two subs in my house. If I could easily integrate it into my home theater I'd get rid of my other sub in a second (assuming I thought the Sonos sounded good, which I'm sure I would).

On the surface this seems simple: just allow home theater input into the Sonos system and have some intelligence in the s/w for how we want it configured (one speaker only, 3.1, 5.1, etc). In reality, I'm sure this adds a large level of complexity.

If you guys can pull this off I would be buying several more Sonos components and finally(!) have a single audio system that was easy to manage.

Edit: I just realized Sonos would have to account for H/T calibration, likeky with a mic... ugh - this gets complicated very quickly. Using the speakers is probably relatively easy - dealing with h/t configuration perhaps not.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by David_R; Aug 21st, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Addition