Go Back   Sonos Forums > Sound Ideas

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Default My own (legal) audiobooks

I know Sonos can play .aa audio files from audible.com, but I frankly have issues with audible (see below.) Besides, it's cheaper to buy audiobooks on eBay, which I've done for years and am very happy with the quality and the prices. Now, that being said, I would like to find a suitable way to listen to my audiobooks on Sonos . . . it's easy enough to rip them to MP3, WAV, or AAC, but my understanding is that the all-important "bookmarking" function (the ability to resume right where you left off in a lengthy track) is only available in .M4B files.

I've ripped my audiobooks to MP3, then converted them to M4A through DBpoweramp. Then I've simply changed the file extension to .M4B, and voila, the file plays perfectly in iTunes, complete with bookmarking ability. BUT . . . Sonos won't allow me to play the file, I'm assuming because it thinks the .M4B is "protected" music. But it's not. It's an audiobook I legally owned and ripped. So my question is this . . . is there some way that I can create an M4B file that won't be seen by sonos as a protected file? Are all M4B files strictly taboo in Sonos? Or, alternatively, is there another file extension that Sonos will play (other than audible's .AA files) that will offer me a bookmark function?

It would be unfortunate if Sonos owners with audiobook collections couldn't take advantage of file bookmarking technology. I would even consider subscribing to audible if they would allow you to convert your audiobooks to the .AA format, which I'm told has excellent bookmarking features. But unfortunately, Audible doesn't allow this, or I would be a loyal customer right now.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 12:34 AM

mjfoxtrot,

Welcome to the forums, another Sonos owner joins the fold.

What you want to do isn't possible in Sonos right now, but it's a very good suggestion.

I've moved the thread to the "Sound Ideas" forum where it will be acknowledged by the Sonos guys as a future feature request.

I don't personally own any audiobooks but can see this would be a great addition to Sonos.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Default Bookmarking additional categories

Not sure if this has been suggested before but I would like to broaden the bookmarking functionality. What I would like to do when I am using a service like Rhapsody is be able to bookmark any category used by the service provider such as an artist (e.g. Sting) or a sub-genre (e.g. Early Baroque). This bookmark could be filed like the other bookmarks under the Music Services folder "My Artists" or "My Genres". When I select that bookmark I would be taken back into Rhapsody's collection of the artist's discography or the Sub-Genre entry point. This would mean that bookmarks could be for an album or song only (as per current arrangements) or could be for an Artist, a Sub-Genre, a Genre or any other classification used by the service provider.

Apologies if I have missed previous discussion on such a suggestion.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM

Default Other file formats?

I agree with many others in the forums that the lack of support for bookmarking of mp3 audiobooks in considerably inconvenient to audio book fans. I purchased my Sonos for the sole purpose of listening to audiobooks throughout my house. While I can return to the place I left off on Audible files, I cannot return to the right place on my other audiobook file formats, such as MP3 or AAC. I do, however, notice that Sonos supports several file formats I have not tried. Are there any formats for which Sonos will, like Audible, return me to the location in the file where I left off?
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Sonos SQA Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacombc View Post
I agree with many others in the forums that the lack of support for bookmarking of mp3 audiobooks in considerably inconvenient to audio book fans. I purchased my Sonos for the sole purpose of listening to audiobooks throughout my house. While I can return to the place I left off on Audible files, I cannot return to the right place on my other audiobook file formats, such as MP3 or AAC. I do, however, notice that Sonos supports several file formats I have not tried. Are there any formats for which Sonos will, like Audible, return me to the location in the file where I left off?
Unfortunately, no. This is a good feature request.

-Jason

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason - Sonos View Post
Unfortunately, no. This is a good feature request.

-Jason
Seems that several requests for this feature are quite old. This one thread has asked for this feature over a year ago.

What action can I take to encourage Sonos to implement this feature in their next update?
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Sonos SQA Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacombc View Post
Seems that several requests for this feature are quite old. This one thread has asked for this feature over a year ago.

What action can I take to encourage Sonos to implement this feature in their next update?
We have a long list of updates that we would like to implement but only so many can make it into each update. Demand dictates a lot of our direction, so we would need more requests for such an addition.

So, don't lose hope as this could make it into an update down the road, and we we really appreciate these requests as it helps us build a better product.

-Jason

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Let me add my voice of support for a way to bookmark. My wife, who loves our Sonos now as much as I do and is home on maternity leave, has been bugging me about this.

Seems like she has a ways to wait.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:35 AM

I would like to see the bookmarking function, too!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Digital Expert

Default Audio Bookmarking

Now that 2.5 has been released, is there any hope for audio bookmarking in the next release?