Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Digital Expert

Default Improving Zone Player Wifi coverage

Hi,

I have a zone player inside the house (basement) with wires running outside for the patio listening area. I have a second zone player in the kitchen.

I get a very weak signal when I am outside and occasionaly no signal...

Is there a way to boost the signal (with a WIFI repeater maybe) so that we can increase the coverage?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonpellier
Hi,

I have a zone player inside the house (basement) with wires running outside for the patio listening area. I have a second zone player in the kitchen.

I get a very weak signal when I am outside and occasionaly no signal...

Is there a way to boost the signal (with a WIFI repeater maybe) so that we can increase the coverage?
No, your only option is to move a zone player (either an existing one or a new one) to a suitable position to offer coverage to the outside.

For wireless devices, the higher the better...you're better off with a zone player in an upstairs bedroom than the basement.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Digital Expert

thanks for the reply. it's kind of painful for a wireless system to have such limited range. If I could have added a repeater I would have left it outside. I care more for my player than for a repeater
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Digital Expert

Default Agreed!

I completely agree. If nothing else, Sonos should look into developing a very cheap repeater! I have to use a ZP80 in one room (Where I don't have or want audio) as a repeater! That is a $300 waste of money!
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hraley
I completely agree. If nothing else, Sonos should look into developing a very cheap repeater! I choose to use a ZP80 in one room (Where I don't have or want audio) as a repeater! That is a $300 waste of money when i could have used a wire
Fixed.

You can put the ZP80 wherever you like. Cat5 cable is cheap and can more than happily run most of the distances required in a domestic setup.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Digital Expert

well you need to put the ZP80 in a location that gives you best WIFI coverage, which might not be where you would want to have music. No way I am buying a ZP80 as a repeater...

For the info, I have a ZP100 in the kitchen, which is the closest from the patio and at about 15 meters from the kitchen I loose the signal, so I don't know you dreamt about 50 meters !
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
well you need to put the ZP80 in a location that gives you best WIFI coverage, which might not be where you would want to have music.
Music doesn't come out of the ZP80, it comes out of the speakers!

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Wires wires wires, all it takes.

Who said 50metres anyway? I wish my plot was 50metres across for sure.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Digital Expert

while checking other threads related to the same problem, I saw 50m as the expected coverage.

Now if you are happy with running wires all over the place, fine. I'm not. The wireless technology is here and we should use it. Are you still using the control on your tv or using the remote? What if I told you that you could use the remote but you should put the tv 1 feet away from you? That would suck...

Now what I'd want to know is why can't we repeat the signal? Money issue? Sonos is the next M$ ?
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
while checking other threads related to the same problem, I saw 50m as the expected coverage.
50m is a bit unrealistic in most domestic environments but not impossible. It really depends on the construction.

Quote:
Are you still using the control on your tv or using the remote?
I'm using a wireless remote, not wires, but my TV needs to be wired into both the mains and the antenna on my house, which incidentally is a cable running across my brickwork. As is the cable from the satellite dish. Quick send them back, they should be wireless
Quote:
What if I told you that you could use the remote but you should put the tv 1 feet away from you? That would suck...
Slightly unrealistic.
Quote:
Now what I'd want to know is why can't we repeat the signal? Money issue? Sonos is the next M$ ?
If a plastic cradle with no technology costs around £50 and a power supply another £15, how much do you think a Sonos wireless repeater would retail for after they loaded in the costs of bringing it to market?

I don't need such a device, my zone players are too close together...perhaps my house is too small. Maybe that's why I can afford the extra players

Last edited by Majik; Aug 25th, 2006 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Correcting Ben's broken quotation tags