Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you think of the new 5.0 Sonos controller interface (iOS, Android, etc)
I love it, better than old 4.3! 63 27.88%
I don't really care one way or another 33 14.60%
I hate it, I want the old 4.3 interface back! 130 57.52%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30th, 2014, 09:52 PM

Default The Death of Sonos

I just read this at http://uiramblings.blogspot.com/2014...ve-me-kia.html

it sums up what I feel exactly.
Except -

"Now, it's bad enough that Apple has messed up their User Interface so badly, but a bigger problem still is the fact that everyone is following suit. Whether Apple is imposing this on every prospective iOS App programmer by making it a requirement to adopt the iOS 7 framework, or whether it's just a programmer's choice, the fact is that every iOS app is being converted to the flat and riddled user interface design. Not surprising at all, because it's only natural that, for the sake of uniform look and feel, all apps coexisting on a device follow the same design philosophy - as poor as it may be.

And this brings us to Sonos. If you have never used this outstanding multi-zone music player device, you've been missing out. But don't worry, it's dying a quick death now. You see, Sonos is a lot like Apple in many ways. Their hardware is beautifully designed, packaged, and marketed, and their iOS (also Android, Windows, and MacOS) based music player software interface was absolutely terrific. 'Was' being the operative word here. Apparently Sonos was caught in this whole mess of 'refreshing' their user interface look and feel for iOS 7 and, in a classic example of form over function, has turned what was once a terrific segment-leading system with a gratifying experience into an awful, dull, and crippled device that is both frustrating and unrewarding. And much like Apple, there is no going back. But don't take my word for it, go to the iTunes store and look at the latest reviews for the Sonos iOS app and you will see mass discontent.

So after many years of joy, my $3,500 multi-zone investment went from being an outstanding and critical element to my enjoyment of music at home, to become a dispensable system that I despise and no longer want to interact with -- all in just one click. "
Old May 30th, 2014, 10:17 PM

Old May 30th, 2014, 10:26 PM

Bit over the top, old boy?...as my Brit friends would say.
PS: the American ones would be a little more blunt...Get a life:-)

Last edited by Kumar; May 30th, 2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: PS
Old May 31st, 2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
PS: the American ones would be a little more blunt...Get a life:-)
Oh, some of us can be a bit more blunt than that
Old May 31st, 2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoB View Post
Oh, some of us can be a bit more blunt than that
I know that very well from experience. Just trying to observe forum decorum.
Old Jun 13th, 2014, 10:25 AM

Hate it!

Simple controls are now spread across multiple pages.

Move further in a song you'll need to go back and forth to a different page.

Song/ album info is lost, and can only display like 30-something characters. Anything more is lost

You'll find music hidden in sonos

Finding EQ settings, alarm requires 2 page changes, swipes, etc...

Inside an artist, you are only able to see 4 albums on a 6" phone, and 9(not even completely!!!) on a 10" tablet.
Album titles longer than 25 characters are cut off.

Loading album covers has become much slower.

Sooooo much space being waste.

And this May have started as a change with the app, but with the attitude of sonos has changed into a breach of trust I had.

Simply saying this is it, learn to deal with it.

And finally,
Cutting out support for iPad 1!
Without any notice, just update system --> system now saying: new app needed --> going to App Store, and you try to download it, but can't.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Digital Expert

I like the cross platform search.

I like my V5 Windows Desktop APP! Looks like the Classic Blue Beauty that I will die and be buried with!

I hate it on my IPAD.

My IPAD got stolen out of my vehicle last week, so I guess I am now indifferent about the IPAD software. Maybe by the time I replace my tablet they will have reworked the new version to make it tolerable. By then they will have killed my Classic Blue Desktop App so I will have no choice but upgrade. OMG. Sonos Mega Corp you are causing me so much stress! Off to medicate....
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Default Why break the Ipad1 app?

I can take or leave changes in UI, all UIs seem to change few seem to improve.

However I am annoyed that the changes to the Sonos system stop me from using the App on my Ipad1. I understand that they find it tricky supporting the Ipad1 because of Apple, that doesn't mean they have to deliberately break the app so it won't work.

Do they want me to have to buy another iPad or spending my money on some more Sonos kit?
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 06:29 PM

Default My Old Controller Is Gone Boo Hoo

I was able to keep the old version on my iPad for several weeks, now for some reason it insists on being replaced.... So now I really have to deal with the huge inefficiencies of the user interface... And the total waste of real estate on my iPad screen, plus additional battery power for all that white space. And no volume control on my favourite screen, the full album art. I'm very bummed. Don't want to throw in my whole Sonos investment just yet, but thinking about it. GGrrrrr.
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brault View Post
I'm very bummed. Don't want to throw in my whole Sonos investment just yet, but thinking about it. GGrrrrr.
Know an adjustment is coming. Assume so, anyway. Start the music and let the iPad go to sleep.