Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old May 6th, 2014, 08:37 AM

Default New Controller App

It looks like the new app is just around the corner judging by the announcement .

Ive been part of the beta and, whilst there are some improvements i.e. universal search, I really feel like its become form over function.

If you watch the new video, you will see what is my main gripe, namely the absence of the queue anywhere.

In the old app on a tablet in landscape view you have the queue immediately visible so see whats coming and can move things around, delete them etc without too many clicks.

Now its all buried under additional clicks in favour of giant icons taking up half the screen.

is it just me ?
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:52 AM

Thumbs down

I don't think it's just you.

I watched the video and it looks like a new coat of paint. I don't have access to the beta, but if the queue has been removed or de-emphasized, that is really unfortunate.

I'd hoped there would be something actually "new" and not just album covers to "bring me closer to the artists I love".

E.g.,... ability for more than one Spotify/Pandora/etc account to be used as a service. Or maybe support for the Spotify "Your Music" capabilities added this spring.

We get album covers and an iOS7 paint job.
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:59 AM

Guess I've never really cared much to see what's in the queue, so doesn't bother me a bit. I'm a jazz fan, and always play albums from start to finish, never, ever jump around, just like I play LPs or CDs. No biggie not having the queue visible... Maybe you guys are younger, and brought up on iPods or something?
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:13 AM

Beta user here.

Pros:

Universal search.
Cleaner interface (once you get used to it), especially on a phone.
Album art display more prominent.
All the functions are there, more of a skin change than a new paradigm

Cons:

The fullscreen 'Now Playing' display is only available in portrait mode on a tablet.
The left hand side of a 7" tablet is almost 3/4 occupied by music sources, most of which need about 1/3 of that space to display the name, causing way too much wasted space.
The queue is under the now playing screen, instead of the huge Music Sources area. Way too small, and not very convenient.
Location of shuffle/repeat is completely separate from crossfade, which is inexplicable to me.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:11 AM

Pros:
  • Looks nicer (purely subjective though).
  • Universal search (I only have music on my NAS so not interested or affected)
  • Favourites are now listed individually on larger tablets in the 'sources' part of the screen.

Cons:
  • Progress bar now not shown. To move to a different part of a track you need to tap the track name to then get the bar up and then move the bar. Progress bar should always be visible (or at least an option). New, small circular progress indicator is handy but classic form over function. It's purely an indicator and not interactive.
  • The three functions of crossfade, random track and repeat are all 'linked' in my opinion - and again, should be available from the main 'playing' screen. In the new app, these options are now hidden away in other menus - and appear differently depending on whether you're accessing from a phone or tablet. For example, on my phone, if I want random or repeat, I need to bring up the queue and select them from there - but if I want crossfade I need to bring up the track information and select that from there. However, from my 10" tablet, the random and repeat options are shown - but crossfade is again hidden in the track information screen. It's not consistent or user friendly. On my phone I haven't yet gone into the right screen first time to toggle these options.
  • I have no portrait mode at all on my 10" tablet. (Asus Transformer TF300T)
  • When in the fullscreen mode on the tablet you have no volume slider! You need to tap the screen, revert back to previous view, adjust volume and then go fullscreen again.
  • On a tablet you can no longer view the sources/zones, queue and track/artwork simultaneously.
  • The huuuuge white space for the sources, favourites is far, far too big. If we can no longer see the information we used to see simultaneously (as above), I'd like to choose what I can see. Generally that's the queue and the artwork for me. Swipe from the left to bring up the sources?
  • It would be nice if linked zones were listed by name if space were available - instead of just Kitchen +1 for example.
  • Sonos still doesn't take advantage of local storage for artwork. This would make the app look far slicker if it could cache artwork for almost immediate viewing instead of scroll, wait for load, scoll, wait for load...
  • Still can't search for anything by artists in compilation albums if I have my albums sorted so I can actually see artists listed against tracks within compilation albums.

Last edited by sjw; May 6th, 2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM

Oh dear; I was all enthusiastic logging on.

Absence of queue sounds like a fail to me.
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rephlex View Post

The queue is there - but you toggle it upwards - and remove the artwork.
You still can't multi-select tracks to add to the queue.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rephlex View Post

The queue is still there. It's just that on a tablet, the queue is displayed by covering up the very small 'Now Playing' screen, while leaving the Music Source screen (and it's mostly wasted space) in place.
Old May 6th, 2014, 11:21 AM

I have the beta here.
Maybe I am the only one on the planet, but I think it is ugly and clumsy.

I suppose that the old controller will be obsoleted?

2 Play:5
2 Connect:amp
1 Matte Sub
1 Connect
2 Play:1
Old May 6th, 2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjw View Post
The queue is there - but you toggle it upwards - and remove the artwork.
You still can't multi-select tracks to add to the queue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
The queue is still there. It's just that on a tablet, the queue is displayed by covering up the very small 'Now Playing' screen, while leaving the Music Source screen (and it's mostly wasted space) in place.
Sorry poor choice of words; I meant an accessible and visible queue.

Look forward to seeing it and hoping the functionality is better than I had been led to believe.