Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Jul 27th, 2013, 12:16 PM

Default Sonos Bridge Shenanigans

My Sonos bridge is no longer discoverable by the router, I was trying to browse the Internet which wasn't working and on troubleshooting that I realised if I removed the bridge from the loop and went straight to my router from my PC it would work fine.

So the bridge was working for a year, and then no particular event it has stopped.On my router settings it appears not to being allocated an IP address (looked at MAC address on back of router and compared with active clients). I have a half dozen other devices that are working fine thought the router..

I've tried a different cable that I know works, no difference, I've tried locating through the software, cannot see it, I've tried pairing with my speakers, cannot discover. Tried, the mobile client, no joy.

The router has a flashing white light as if it is booting. I've tried unplugging the sonos device and restarting my router in different orders none of which seem to make any difference.

I'm really at my wits end. Any help appreciated.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM

Bazmundo,

First post! Welcome to the forums!

A failed BRIDGE power supply can cause your symptoms. Are the network port lights active on the BRIDGE?

A suggestion: After restarting your router, always power down ALL network clients, then restart in the following order:

Wired SONOS components
Wireless SONOS components
NAS if you use one
Everything else

You can eliminate this step if you have used your router's "Reserve" DHCP addresses feature on your router. (make sure that you keep this list up to date as you add new clients)
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Hi Buzz,

I tried you steps, powering down all my Sonos components (Play5 speakers I've had for a while - Playbar I got today) and some progress, rather than just a flashing white light I now have a flashing white AND green light.

However, the bridge still doesn't appear on my LAN clients list on my router and if I take the ethernet cable out the back of my router and into the sonos hub I get a message about "limited access". Plug it back into the router then all is fine.

All lights are on green and white on top, orange and green above the ethernet port. I've tried both ports and even tried my old router. Everything in the house works (x-box, sky on demand, i Phone, PC etc.)other than the Sonos bridge.

Any next steps?
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 01:56 PM

Bazmundo,

Where is the "limited access" message displayed?
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 01:59 PM

Bazmundo,

Please describe your network for us. Include EVERYTHING on your network (computers, Blu-ray, printers, SONOS, etc.) Which model router are you using? What is wired? What is wireless?
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 03:50 PM

Window XP computer wired to Dlink-2680 modem through std ethernet cable. TalkTalk ADSL access

Sonos bridge on 2nd ADSL port. (only 2 on router)

Wireless have iPad, IPhone, Xbox - sky-on demand. Sky ondemand has 2nd IP address associated with it for the actual sky box.

Router is std config, not changed from when SOnos used to work. PPoE/PPoA;. no port forwarding ; no DMZ; I've tried with Firewall off; no MAC address mgt; UPnP is off and multicast streams are on. Diagnostics show it to all be working fine.

I'm at a loss as to what to try...
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 04:05 PM

the limited access is from the little pop up in the systems tray on XP
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 05:43 PM

A flashing white/green LED indicates the Bridge has become disconnected or otherwise separated from your system.

As you can see in the linked LED matrix, if the white and green are flashing together, the unit is searching for the rest of its Sonos brethren. It knows it is part of a Sonos system, but it can't find any of those other components. Flashing alternately is the indication for a component that is powered up but is not attached to a Sonos system (so it doesn't know who to look for). This is the condition after a factory reset.

If you're in the 'post-reset' mode (alternating), use a Controller and run through the 'Add a Sonos Component' routine.

If you're in the 'island' mode (flashing together), try bringing the Play:5 to the router, wiring it to the router, then wire the Bridge to the Play:5. Does the Bridge connect then? Does the Playbar work?

For the record, the WinXP 'limited access' error popup appears when the PC's Network Interface detects a link to an upstream device (switch, router, etc), but no (or very little) traffic will pass over it. With the PC wired through the Bridge, this implies some type of network difficulty in the Bridge. A little more troubleshooting will narrow down just what that difficulty is.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 11:33 PM

If I try and pair the bridge with my Play5 speaker both the bridge and the speaker go into the alternate flashing green and white mode but then just revert to the green and white flashing in unison.

Likewise, when I try the controller from my iPhone it doesn't connect. After 30 seconds or so it just reverts to the flashing in unison then a couple of minutes later the phone reports that no Sonos components were found.
The phone also says "make sure that as least one Sonos... is connecter to your router by an Ethernet cable"

I think the network piece has to be sorted. I don't understand though because noting has changed and all my other devices work fine.

B
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 11:38 PM

I should also say there was no difference to the Play5 and bridge pairing whether I tried it connected by ethernet or wireless. both just reverted to flashing green & white in unison both times.