Go Back   Sonos Forums > Speakers and More...

Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:57 AM

Default Connecting Sonos Connect Amp to wired speakers

I just purchased a Sonos Connect Amp to connect to my wired speakers. I did not realize it only has a R & L speaker connection in the back. I would like to connect two sets of in wall speakers, outside zone (2 speakers) and my living room which has 5 speakers (surround) and a subwoofer. If I would like to connect both to my Sonos set-up, would I have to buy a second AMP or is there something else I can do?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:06 AM

jvansic12,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

How are you driving your 5.1 system now?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:21 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for welcome and quick reply!

My 5.1 system in the living room is an old Bose Lifestyle 50 System with the 5 speakers being the jewel cube variety. I have had it for many years and it recently gave out on me (the remote goes in and out losing connection) and I stopped using it. The speakers are still up and subwoofer is still sitting in the corner of the room. Would love to find a way to connect them to my Sonos set-up and thought I could do so with the Connect AMP.

The 2 outside speakers are a pair of Bose outdoor speakers (not sure of the model) but they are wired back to the Lifestyle 50 system in the living room. Would prefer to have them connected to my Sonos set-up as well.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 09:56 AM

jvansic12,

You could reuse the outside speakers, but the inside speakers are designed to work exclusively through the Bose electronics. As a hobby one could work around the roadblocks, but this is not a very practical project.

Currently, what is your video setup?
Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback. If I were to replace the Bose system with some in wall speakers and a receiver is there a way to connect both the outside speakers and the replaced living room 5.1 system to a single Connect AMP or do I have to purchase a 2nd Connect AMP?

To answer your other question, currently I am using the speakers on my TV for sound when I am watching TV.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Default Bose speakers only work with Bose amps? Really?

I bought a house with a similar setup (here in the States).

First, I bought a simple A/B speaker switch and connected it to my SONOS Connect AMP.

Then, I connected my outdoor speakers to the "B" set of the speaker switch so I wouldn't kill the neighbors.

Then I connected only the FRONT pair of speakers in the living room to the "A" set of lugs on the speaker selector.

I do not have the rear speakers hooked up but could simply parallel them to the front speakers (on the "A" switch), but you won't get true 'rear' delay effects and the volume would equal the front speakers.

Hooking up the sub-woofer again could work as left or right but won't give the proper effect. I've never heard of a Bose speaker alone not being able to work with any other brand amplifier.
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 02:04 PM

Some Bose system speakers are supplied with proprietary interconnects. That makes the attempt to connect them to systems using standardized speaker connections difficult (at best) .
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
I bought a house with a similar setup (here in the States).

First, I bought a simple A/B speaker switch and connected it to my SONOS Connect AMP.

Then, I connected my outdoor speakers to the "B" set of the speaker switch so I wouldn't kill the neighbors.

Then I connected only the FRONT pair of speakers in the living room to the "A" set of lugs on the speaker selector.

I do not have the rear speakers hooked up but could simply parallel them to the front speakers (on the "A" switch), but you won't get true 'rear' delay effects and the volume would equal the front speakers.

Hooking up the sub-woofer again could work as left or right but won't give the proper effect. I've never heard of a Bose speaker alone not being able to work with any other brand amplifier.
hello,

is there enough power from he AMP to connect all 4 speakers? is the sound ok?
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:08 AM

fekish,

One can connect two pairs of 8-Ohm speakers to a SONOS CONNECT:AMP -- and the speakers will not interfere with each other.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvansic12 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. If I were to replace the Bose system with some in wall speakers and a receiver is there a way to connect both the outside speakers and the replaced living room 5.1 system to a single Connect AMP or do I have to purchase a 2nd Connect AMP?
In this case if you are already buying a receiver you wouldn't need a Connect:Amp, you would need a Connect.