Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 07:33 AM

Question Sonos Playbar+Sub vs Bose 3-2-1

I just tested my new Playbar and Sub yesterday. Since my eight year old BOSE 3-2-1 was standing next to it connected to a SONOS Connect unit, of course I started to compare them. I played some movies and some music to test them. The BOSE system has some issues rendering a good sound from some sources, producing a clicking noice and sometimes just loosing it completely so I had to pull the plug and reboot it so obviously I was hoping for some kind of miracle improvement. Sadly though, the god old BOSE seems to outperform the SONOS set-up when it comes to clarity of the sound, the power of the base and the overall balance of the movie experience. I was looking for a way to tune the sound produced by the playbar in the mid register, but all I found was a plain bass / treble adjustment that didn't change much either.

Are there other ways to adjust the Playbar sound?

Could it be that the TV makes a bad job in the sound encoding that is sent to the Playbar/SUB. It's a Philips 42" LED TV that is a couple of years old.

I played the stream from the SONOS Connect to the BOSE when I compared the sound, using the volume/mute control on the iPad to quickly shift between BOSE and SONOS.

I don't know. Kind of confused question. I guess I'm just not happy because the Sonos stuff wasn't better.

Anyone else who has compared the two sets?
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM

niltomek,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Ultimately, only you know what sounds best -- for you.

I'm surprised that you feel that the BOSE system has more bass. While the BOSE systems seem to have a lot of bass, I've never encountered one that could shake things inside the walls. The SONOS SUB can easily shake things inside the walls. BOSE and SONOS have different midrange characteristics and you might prefer one over the other. You should try setting SUB's level up a bit. (this is not the bass control, there is another control that is part of PLAYBAR's surround setup)
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 08:02 PM

Do you have the playbar hooked up to a 5.1 source? NOT using the TV's optical but rather the source device's optical?
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 05:46 PM

There is no comparison in my opinion. I just replaced a similarly aged Bose 321 with the Playbar and Sub. The Bose in no way can compete with the sound I am now experiencing.

Don't run the sound through your tv - go straight optical out from your cable or sat box into the playbar. Most tv's only pass PCM or stereo from an HDMI cable.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrobinson105 View Post
There is no comparison in my opinion. I just replaced a similarly aged Bose 321 with the Playbar and Sub. The Bose in no way can compete with the sound I am now experiencing.

Don't run the sound through your tv - go straight optical out from your cable or sat box into the playbar. Most tv's only pass PCM or stereo from an HDMI cable.

Hope this helps.
Just want to clarify: connect optical from playbar into the cable box. Turn off the TV speaker. Will this really work? Do I need other cable for the TV?
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 07:17 AM

NO comparison...
I took back my bose soundbar/sub setup and bought the playbar alone. I THOUGHT the playbar alone sounded better than the bose soundbar/sub together! Crank up your bose, then the Sonos... see you will.

Now I have the 2 play 3's, a play 5, sub along with the playbar.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshall View Post
Just want to clarify: connect optical from playbar into the cable box. Turn off the TV speaker. Will this really work? Do I need other cable for the TV?
Yes it will really work. You don't need an audio cable from the TV if you go straight optical out of your cable/sat box. I bought an optical switch to handle my other devices (DVR, XBOX). Cheers!
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 03:35 AM

I didn't realise that my Virgin box had optical out! It would be a huge palaver to run a cable to where I have the Playbar. I also have a Sub. I don't watch films much just TV and music. Would there be any real benefit to taking the audio out of the box rather than the TV?
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 04:10 AM

krismusic,

In your case a direct connection to the set top box would not offer any significant advantages.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 09:28 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrobinson105 View Post
Yes it will really work. You don't need an audio cable from the TV if you go straight optical out of your cable/sat box. I bought an optical switch to handle my other devices (DVR, XBOX). Cheers!
j Robinson,hope you can help
I run sky HD straight to playbar which is great
I know want to use new bluray player as well which only has dig coax
Any idea how to connect