Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanshepherd View Post
Good point regarding placement. And I also note that the Play 3's are the only ones mentioned to partner with the playbar which seems interesting on the longevity of the 5's...?
Sonos has stated the reason only Play:3s are able to be partnered with the Playbar (quoted from ask.sonos below):

Quote:
Gordon M (Official Rep) a minute ago

SONOS PLAY:5s cannot serve as rears because the PLAY:5 only contains a 2.4 GHz card and the PLAYBAR Audio wireless transmission between the SUB and the rears uses 5 GHz.
I don't see this as foreshadowing the imminent death of the Play:5.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
Sonos has stated the reason only Play:3s are able to be partnered with the Playbar (quoted from ask.sonos below):

I don't see this as foreshadowing the imminent death of the Play:5.
Ah, makes perfect sense. Never realised the 3's had 5ghz wireless. Appreciate the input, I'm new to this whole Sonos thing but slowly learning...

So they all have 5ghz wireless now except the 5's? Even the bridge?
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Ah, makes perfect sense. Never realised the 3's had 5ghz wireless. Appreciate the input, I'm new to this whole Sonos thing but slowly learning...

So they all have 5ghz wireless now except the 5's? Even the bridge?
It appears the only units that have a 5GHz card are the Play:3, the Playbar, and the SUB. The rest precede the availability of 5GHz cards.

And as far as not realizing the Play:3 had 5GHz, it's news to me too (and I've been here almost 5 years. )
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Did you ever notice if the sub turns off the bass unit on the play 5's? Would seem an odd thing to do and not use it for mid-range.
That very hard to say.
Even when I go close from my play5 speakers, I ear sounds comming from everywhere in the room. So I don't know if it is turning off play5 bass. At the end, I don't care because it is perfect as it is.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
It appears the only units that have a 5GHz card are the Play:3, the Playbar, and the SUB. The rest precede the availability of 5GHz cards.

And as far as not realizing the Play:3 had 5GHz, it's news to me too (and I've been here almost 5 years. )
Excuse me but I am a little lost there.
What means 2,4ghz and 5ghz card ?
What about a set up using both cards as mine (sub that is 5ghz and play5 that are 2,4) ? Will the Sub convert 5 to 2,4ghs signal ?
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM

amarvitus,

2.4GHz and 5.8GHz are frequency bands. Each end of the communication channel must use the same frequency.

For technical reasons SONOS has decided that PLAYBAR will use (only) the 5.8GHz band to communicate with SUB and the PLAY:3's when in surround mode. Since PLAY:5 does not include a 5.8GHz radio, it cannot be bonded to PLAYBAR in surround mode. Stereo mode uses 2.4GHz.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
amarvitus,

2.4GHz and 5.8GHz are frequency bands. Each end of the communication channel must use the same frequency.

For technical reasons SONOS has decided that PLAYBAR will use (only) the 5.8GHz band to communicate with SUB and the PLAY:3's when in surround mode. Since PLAY:5 does not include a 5.8GHz radio, it cannot be bonded to PLAYBAR in surround mode. Stereo mode uses 2.4GHz.
As I can see there
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/12/s...ater-soundbar/
PLAYBAR uses both 2,4 and 5,8Ghz
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarvitus View Post
Excuse me but I am a little lost there.
What means 2,4ghz and 5ghz card ?
What about a set up using both cards as mine (sub that is 5ghz and play5 that are 2,4) ? Will the Sub convert 5 to 2,4ghs signal ?
Any 5GHz unit also has 2.4GHz support. So you can easily mate a SUB to a Play:5 or Connect:Amp. You just can't use a Play:5 or Connect:Amp for surround speakers with a Playbar.