Go Back   Sonos Forums > Speakers and More...

Old Dec 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM

Default 3 vs 5 + connection issues (switch?)

Okay guys. Sorry for starting another one of these threads.

I know there have been a few out, but my case is a little different.

I'm NOT an audiophile by any circumstances. The Play:3 sounds great to me, but would it be worth the upgrade to the Play:5? I've been having some slight connection issues and lag to the Play:3, would the Play:5 be the same?
The price different here in Australia is about $100-150 - and that would be importing the 5 from the US.

Appreciate any comments - cheers!

Last edited by javooooo; Dec 19th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javooooo View Post
Okay guys. Sorry for starting another one of these threads.

I know there have been a few out, but my case is a little different.

I'm NOT an audiophile by any circumstances. The Play:3 sounds great to me, but would it be worth the upgrade to the Play:5? I've been having some slight connection issues and lag to the Play:3, would the Play:5 be the same?
The price different here in Australia is about $100-150 - and that would be importing the 5 from the US.

Appreciate any comments - cheers!
My Play3s are great in my office and bedroom, but IMO the Play5 sounds much better in a larger room or one where listening is the main focus.

Is it worth the difference in price, well yes I think so.

I wouldnt have thought that any lag/connectivity issues are related to the actual Playx devices themselves.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javooooo View Post
I've been having some slight connection issues and lag to the Play:3, would the Play:5 be the same?
If the 'lag' is in fact audio dropouts with any source then you have wireless issues. Try changing the Sonos wireless channel.

The Play:5 would be no better is this regard so if you can't improve things I'd suggest that you work with Sonos Support to understand why your Play:3 is not behaving as it should. Submit a system diagnostic, note the confirmation number and file a support request.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks Ratty.

I'm fairly sure I know what is causing the lag.

I have a DPQ router which is apparently incompatible with Sonos (found this out after forking out $450 for the system) so I hooked up my Bridge to a wireless wi-fi extender. Obviously this isn't ideal but it was the only way I could get the thing to work.

Do you think purchasing a switch and connecting it to the DPQ router/modem combo would allow the Bridge to work? I was thinking of getting the
TP-Link TL-SG1008D but again I'm no expert as to whether this will work noting the incompatible modem/router.

Thanks!
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 12:54 AM

The Cisco DPQ is a known problem. See https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42

Because of the way it interferes with broadcast/multicast traffic between WLAN and LAN, it stops Sonos controllers on WiFi from working.

Ironically you've got around this for now by connecting the entire Sonos network to the WLAN segment using the wireless WiFi bridge, but it will mean that PCs wired to the router are unlikely to be able to control Sonos.

A new switch is not the answer. You should use a separate WiFi access point and disable the WiFi in the DPQ, as per the FAQ linked above.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 01:57 AM

Thanks Ratty.

Already ordered a switch off the net but I'll find another use for it.

I spoke to Sonos support who have fixed up most of the lag. It also seems Spotfy lags more than Rdio.

They also suggested hooking up an Airport Express to the DPQ, I'll investigate that if problems persist.

My next Play3 is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I think I'm an addict.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 02:50 AM

I'm still confused what you mean by 'lag'.

Grouped Sonos players remain in perfect sync, and I think hitherto you had just the one player anyway: the Play:3.

A Line-In connection can incur some delays if it uses the 'compressed' setting but the Play:3 doesn't possess a Line-In facility.

By 'lag' do you mean that the audio drops out periodically? Or that the controller is slow to respond? If so Sonos Support, armed with a system diagnostic, should be able to make progress.
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 01:52 PM

By lag, I mean pausing/playing/changing volume has a few seconds lag, and Spotify sometimes refuses to play some tracks.
I think that is an issue with Spotify, though, as since switching to Rdio it all seems fine.

I also contacted the Sonos support centre in AU yesterday and they looked at the diagnostics and helped find the best channel etc. That seems to have helped too.

Just ordered another 2 Play:3s. So now I've got 4. Yay.