Go Back   Sonos Forums > Internet Radio

Old Dec 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Default Can't access MOG

For some reason, I can't get any songs to play on MOG through Sonos today. I can open the MOG service, select an album to play, but I immediately get a flurry of error messages for each song on the album, stating the song could not be played because the connection to MOG had been lost.

I can access the MOG client directly on my iPad and play songs just fine. Just access through Sonos seems to be broken. Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: I re-set all my Sonos devices, and the issue seems to have gone away. False alarm.

Last edited by AustinJerry; Dec 18th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 06:28 PM

I am having the same issue - how do you reset your devices? Just pulling the power and plugging back in (not a factory reset - right)??
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Just pulled the power on each device and that did the trick after they restarted.

Now if I could just figure out why at my house both MOG and Rhapsody can't buffer a song between around 6pm-11pm.

I thought my internet connection was fast enough but maybe it's not.

I worked with tech support and they suggested checking the wirelss channels of some other stuff in my house (router and google tv boxes which I can change) and moving the Sonos stuff further away from the google tv devices but non of that has made a difference.

What I can't figure out is why I had no issues for the first couple of weeks and now like clockwork, every evening MOG (and Rhaposody - trying the 30 day trial) go down the drain.

We ran the pingtest,net and speedtest.net and nothing indicated that I should be having any problems.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
What I can't figure out is why I had no issues for the first couple of weeks and now like clockwork, every evening MOG (and Rhaposody - trying the 30 day trial) go down the drain.

We ran the pingtest,net and speedtest.net and nothing indicated that I should be having any problems.
Three possibilities:
A) server overload during peak hours
B) internet congestion
C) local network problems

There's nothing you can do about (A) other than complain loudly.

It sounds like you've checked (B), presumably at the times that MOG is giving trouble.

You've done some work with Sonos Support on (C), but I'd encourage you to use inSSIDer to sniff your neighbours' use of the 2.4GHz band. WiFi traffic in neighbouring properties is likely to peak in the evening, increasing the risk of interference.

Use inSSIDer to look for the clearest 'slot' (out of channels 1, 6 or 11) for Sonos, then move your WiFi to one of the other 'slots'. Make sure that your WiFi isn't using 'wide' (40MHz) channels as they tend to stomp on everyone.

If your neighbours are using 'wide' channels it will show up on inSSIDer, and makes finding a clear 'slot' for Sonos that much harder. In that case you may need to talk to them nicely.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 02:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestion!

Ok - I ran the inSSIDer and got the following:

Channel 1 - 4
Channel 6 - 5 (one shows up as 2+6)
Channel 11 - 7 (including my router)

I've had my Sonos on 1 initially (before I contacted Sonos), switched it to 6 the other night, and now am putting it back to 1. I think I will switch my router from 11 to 6 (it was also on 1 initially before I contacted Sonos).

Not sure how to tell if anyone is using the 40mhz wide channels - what should I look for?

The only thing I notice is that under the 'Max Rate' column, most people are at 54 or 65 but I am at 130, one other person is at 150 and another at 300.

Is there any other info from that program that would be helpful that I am not mentioning? Should I also run the program again at around the time when I am having the problems (at this current time when I ran it, I never have issues).

Thanks again.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion!

Ok - I ran the inSSIDer and got the following:

Channel 1 - 4
Channel 6 - 5 (one shows up as 2+6)
Channel 11 - 7 (including my router)

I've had my Sonos on 1 initially (before I contacted Sonos), switched it to 6 the other night, and now am putting it back to 1. I think I will switch my router from 11 to 6 (it was also on 1 initially before I contacted Sonos).

Not sure how to tell if anyone is using the 40mhz wide channels - what should I look for?
The 2+6 is a wide channel. It's the one with a max rate of 300. The rest (54/65/130) are all standard width.

Quote:
Is there any other info from that program that would be helpful that I am not mentioning?
Select the 2.4GHz tab for a good visualisation of the relative signal levels and how they overlap. The 2+6 one could be clashing badly with Sonos on 1. If a channel is going to overlap it's better if it's the same channel as Sonos rather than one or two channel numbers different. In other words a full overlap is better than a partial one.

If the 7 signals on ch 11 are at a relatively low level you may be better with Sonos on 11 too.

Quote:
Should I also run the program again at around the time when I am having the problems
Yes. Some folks may only power theirs up at night.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 03:22 AM

I think I will wait until tonight when it's happening to get a better idea of what's going on.

Is there a way to upload images so you could actually see mine and make a suggestion?

Edit - the wide channel never seems to effect 11 so I might try switching my Sonos over to 11 (it does have more traffic but at the lowest levels)...does that make sense?

Last edited by rwhitney; Dec 19th, 2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 03:30 AM

Quote:
the wide channel never seems to effect 11 so I might try switching my Sonos over to 11 (it does have more traffic but at the lowest levels)...does that make sense?
Yes, try 11. Sonos will simply see the distant signals as slight bandwidth competition, rather than outright interference.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 03:35 AM

Will see if that has any impact tonight and will also run the program again at that time just to see how things look.

If I do need to speak to my neighbor (who is not tech savvy at all) would it be something simple they could switch (and are there any cons to them switching from wide channel). They have a NetGear router.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 03:43 AM

A problem is identifying which neighbour it is, unless the SSID or router/AP make is a give-away. Wandering around outside with a portable device is one way of course, as long as someone doesn't call the police....

If you can identify the culprit, they (or you) would need to access the router config from their network and set the channel width to '20MHz' or 'standard'. I'd also suggest fixing the channel on 6. Definitely not 2.

The only effect will be to reduce WiFi wireless bandwidth. Unless one's shifting very large files around locally it won't make a difference.

See how you get on with your Sonos on ch 11 first.