Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 06:21 PM

Default number of speakers with connect amp

System so far is 2 connect amps and one bridge.

I have 2 speakers in 6 rooms for a total of 12. Proficient c640 8 ohm. Right now my 2 connect amps are wired to 2 rooms. 2 speakers on each amp. I am pretty new to home stereo. Is there any way that I can run more than 2 speakers per amp? I will eventually purchase more connect amps when the budget allows.
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM

Default Try Niles SSVC-x

I use Niles Audio SSVC-4 speaker selector switch to connect 4 pair of speakers to a single Sonos Connect:Amp.

The switch allows you to turn on/off and control volume to each pair independently.

Niles also makes 2-pair and 6-pair switches.

You can find Niles at many online dealers.
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM

I know that if this were my setup, I'd be reluctant to invest too much in an interim solution, particularly when I'd rather put that cost toward another Connect:Amp. I think you'll find that having multiple rooms on one Sonos zone does not provide the best Sonos control experience.

You can connect 2 sets of 8-ohm speakers (like your C640's) to one Connect:Amp with no additional equipment. That would get four of your rooms working, but of course, that leaves two rooms without audio. You'd also have no individual volume controls, so you'll have to weigh that into your decision-making.

You could add an inexpensive speaker selector to get all rooms working and gradually migrate the rooms to their own Connect:Amp as you can.

You know your budgetary priorities better than we do. A more permanent (and functional) solution would have volume controls (either wall-mounted or as part of the selector as jjancula has suggested), but you may choose to forego that in favor of getting the other Connect:Amps quicker.
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 04:59 AM

jjancula, my friend gave me a Radio Shack selector yesterday which I am thinking about adding. The only crappy part is that I would have to go to the basement to make my selections!!

NoBob, my dealer told me I would burn up my amp if I were to add more than 2 speakers to it. Is this because he wants to sell me more units? It would be nice to be able to hook up 2 rooms to each unit for now until I can get more units. I have one set on my porch and one set in my garage which wont be used much during winter months anyway! But you are saying that I will not burn up my units if I add 4 speakers to one unit, correct?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 07:02 AM

superfly11,

Each CONNECT:AMP will directly support two pairs of 8-Ohm speakers. Beyond two pairs, you need to get into some sort of impedance matching scheme. Some speaker selection boxes offer a "protection" feature that will accomplish this. I like the "autotransformer" based controls and switch boxes.

When more than one pair of speakers is connected to an amplifier, I recommend using a volume control for each pair and the control should be located in the room that it services. This is not always a technical consideration, but it makes operating the system easier. (otherwise one room is always too loud) Many controls are also "impedance matching" (allowing more than two pairs per amplifier).

Keep an eye on costs. One can purchase a four volume control speaker box that will do an excellent job, but the cost might be so close to that of another CONNECT:AMP that it may make more sense to buy the CONNECT:AMP now, skip the box, put up with the inconvenience of mismatched levels until finances recover, then go for a full compliment of CONNECT:AMP's.

You may not need or want dedicated CONNECT"AMP's for each pair. For example, a bedroom with attached bath, probably do not need independent source selection. One CONNECT:AMP and two in-wall volume controls will work just fine.