Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 06:14 AM

Question Soundbar with Connect and line-in on Play:5 ?

Hi all,

Here's my current set-up and how I use it:
- a BRIDGE that is next to my TV and connected to the router.
- a Play5 on a shelf next to my desktop computer.

I mainly use the Play5 using the line-in from my computer. I'm not using the Sonos app, because I use a lot of audio services that aren't (yet) supported.

My question is the following, I want to acquire a nice soundbar + subwoofer for my TV setup. And potentially using it as another speaker for my sonos system.

So I guess I should get a Connect component for the soundbar. But will that work when I use the line-in function from my computer?

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 06:27 AM

Phil.Antrope,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Any Line-In will play in any combination of players.

Take care when simultaneously using the TV or sound bar speakers with a SONOS unit in the same room because there is about a 70ms delay between Line-In and output from a SONOS player. This latency will be perceived as an unwanted echo effect. This is not usually an issue if the TV and SONOS are in different rooms. In terms of lip sync, the Line-In latency is not an issue because the sound is usually ahead of the picture and the delay is constructive. (as long as you are not attempting to simultaneously use SONOS and the TV or sound bar speakers)
Old Dec 27th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Red face Sound bar integration

I just recently purchased a Play:3 which I keep in my bathroom. I use the iPhone and iPad apps and the computer application to play music on my Play:3. I absolutely love it. Because my old (and I mean old, 10+ years) is no longer working properly, I was looking to incorporate a home theater-type sound to my living room while also incorporating a Play:5 and, potentially, additional Play:3's. I am weighing my options on purchasing an affordable sound bar or a home theater system. I have also read about the delay associated with audio coming from a video source. If anyone can provide me with any direction or advice on my goals, it would be more than appreciated.