Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Nov 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM

Default How many controllers

Hi
I'm looking into buying a sonos system, and just wanted to ask about using my android phone as a controller, can you add more phones as controllers too ie my wifes android phone and my sons ipod, sorry if it seem a silly question but if you dont ask....
thnaks
Con
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 01:39 PM

Welcome to the forums.

You can use up to 32 controllers in any combination -- PC/Mac, iOS, Android and Sonos' dedicated CR100/200. All the controllers automatically keep in step with what the players are doing.

Android devices can also wirelessly connect to any Sonos device, in effect treating them all as access points.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/100
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
You can use up to 32 controllers in any combination [/url]
Be warned though that Sonos respects all controllers in the same way, and each can exercise full control over the system. So, before you yield this control, think
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 04:44 AM

thanks for the info, Kumar I will keep that in mind...Lol
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM

I know they do not sell the CR200 anymore but I sure am glad I have my 4, just makes it all easy to use and not running around looking for a controller to control my sonos system and I still use any of my 2 ipad as well the iphone I have is just used as a nas drive so that has to stay plugged into the dock.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burg650 View Post
I know they do not sell the CR200 anymore but I sure am glad I have my 4, just makes it all easy to use and not running around looking for a controller to control my sonos system and I still use any of my 2 ipad as well the iphone I have is just used as a nas drive so that has to stay plugged into the dock.
Android tablets can be had extremely dirt cheap on the used market. In fact, I was able to pick up a 7" and 10" tablet for $50 each running Android 2.3 OS which is still compatible with SONOS and offers the same functionality, if not more, than the CR200. This is most likely why SONOS got out of the controller business.

To answer OP's question, 32 controllers is the max, not sure I will ever get up to the # to test if this is true

I currently have 6 devices that can control my 4 zones.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Be warned though that Sonos respects all controllers in the same way, and each can exercise full control over the system. So, before you yield this control, think
You bring up an interesting point... perhaps a future update to the app would be the ability to lock a controller to a zone... Wife can only operate the kitchen zone, not the man-cave zone!