Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Sep 29th, 2012, 12:57 AM

Default Unable to play ...... File cannot be found

Hi the is an old problem come back to haunt me.

I've had sonos running for a long time now with no problems. However I am now getting the about message again and I'm unable to play any music from my library until I reboot the sonos server.

In summary I have about 40,000 tracks in my library. All (well most) are held on my computer in a human recognisable fashion eg folders
music library/artist/album/cd/track.mp3 as this enables me to find and select music for other purposes.

When I load the library sonos works fine, however after a day or so it stops working with the above error. I did have this before and I was advised by support to reduce the directory structure, but this is not practical if I wish to find something. Besides why does it work and then stop working after a day or so? Trying to find a better answer I found that if I turned off the auto library update, the problem went away.... Until recently that is.

Now if I reboot the server, sonos works. The following day it has stopped working. Auto library update is turned OFF.

Please help.
5tb RAID 5 library, 38k tracks
Server Win 7x64
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 06:28 AM

Haywardi,

SONOS does not use any server software. Are you rebooting a SONOS player or the computer or both?

Is the computer a PC or a Mac? Which version of the operating system does this computer use? Is the computer wireless? Does the computer go to sleep? How are you controlling your SONOS system? Computer? iPhone/iPad/iTouch? Android?
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Default Some answers.

That's curious....

Anyway:

The machine I call the server is

a win 7 system running x64
12 gb main memory
6 tb (yes terabytes) raid 5 through a dedicated adaptec controller

It's on permantely and never sleeps as it also runs file serving and SQL server for the main network.

It's been running in this config for over a year and probably longer

When I talk about rebooting, I mean the whole machine.

I'm still curious about there not being a sonos server as there must be something serving the index for the iPad apps nd zp's. Also how can it re-index if something isn't there controlling it....

Iain.
Server Win 7x64
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 07:56 AM

Default I forgot..

The system holding the music is not wireless, it's wired through a 3com switch and the first zone player is wired ino the same switch.

The problem manifests it self through the iPad app and on the pc.

Iain
Server Win 7x64
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM

Haywardi,

When we say "no server" we mean that there is no required, dedicated SONOS program. If the library is stored on a NAS drive or there is no local library, a SONOS system can be installed and operated in an environment where there is no computer. A copy of the library index is stored in each player. If you elect to install the (optional) controller application on a computer, it is simply another controller. Other than having a few tricks to help punch through the computer's firewall (mostly for the benefit of the desktop controller), the computer controller is simply a different interface for the human. Players directly fetch their own files from a CIFS/SMB file system.

Controllers fetch the index from a player. Controllers don't store a copy of the index, but there is a small cache used to improve response. This is why it is so easy for music services to add themselves to the SONOS ecosystem. There is a SONOS published API. As long as a music service supports the SONOS API calls, a new service can be added on the fly -- no SONOS firmware updates are required.

On the desktop controller there is an "Error log..." entry that you can pop up and copy into a post for us to see and it may include some messages that you missed.

You should check to make sure that the SONOS share is still mounted when you receive these "not found" messages. If possible, do this from another computer.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 01:49 AM

Default Error file?

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. I logged onto the machine that holds the library (the one I've been calling the server) and has the PC program installed.

I then checked though the Sonos directory structure but can't see an error log or anything that looks like it.

Can you let me know where I should be able to find it and what it's called.

I additionally did a screen shot of the error message and saved it in .PNG format, but can't find a way to upload it here...... Happy to email if you let me know an address.

Thanks for your help so far.
Iain
Server Win 7x64
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Haywardi,

It is not a file. Using a desktop controller, go to Help. Here you'll see Error log....
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Check to make sure the network card of that computer isn't going to sleep. Initially, that was a problem with mine when I ran the music library off my hard drive. When the library got too big for my hard drive, I moved it to a 1 TB WD MyBook, which would then cause the same error you're getting because the drive wouldn't spin up fast enough for Sonos. I would then reinitiate the play and off it went.

Right click the Network Card under device manager and check your power saving settings for it. Uncheck em all on that tab.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Default Error Log

Hi Buzz,

OK, got it see below.

Just for the record, the music IS available on the network when using Windows explorer when you get this error. Access has been tried from a WIN 8 x64, WIN 7 x63 and Vista x32 clients.

-----oOo-----

Saturday, 29 September 2012 - 08:42 Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 02 - Introspective of House I (CD3) - Stereogen - Hi Q.mp3 - the file //SERVER2/CD Music/Introspective Of House/1/CD3/02 - Introspective of House I (CD3) - Stereogen - Hi Q.mp3 cannot be found.

Sunday, 30 September 2012 - 09:34 Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 001 Tyree Cooper - Turn up the bass.mp3 - the file //SERVER2/CD Music/House Dance Classics/001 Tyree Cooper - Turn up the bass.mp3 cannot be found.

Sunday, 30 September 2012 - 09:43 Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 001 Tyree Cooper - Turn up the bass.mp3 - the file //SERVER2/CD Music/House Dance Classics/001 Tyree Cooper - Turn up the bass.mp3 cannot be found.

Sunday, 30 September 2012 - 09:46 Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play J.S. Bach: Concerto for 2 Violins, Strings, and Continuo in D minor, BWV 1043 - 2. Largo ma non tan - the connection to Spotify was lost.
Server Win 7x64
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Default Bluecrystalman

Hi,

What an interesting suggestion. The machine in question has two network controllers.

One has power management as an option on the tab and it WAS SWITCH ON. I've now switched it off.

The other had no power management tab!

Unfortunately, it looks like the network is served by the second controller (the one of no power management option).

However, I've rebooted and will check again tomorrow to see if anything changes. I'll keep my finger crossed. If it doesn't change I'll switch the cable over to the other controller and check again....

Iain
Server Win 7x64