Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Sep 12th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Default Audible

Can Sonos play directly from Audible (like Spotify) or do you have to download the Audible files to a NAS or something like that in between?
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Digital Expert

The books must be downloaded and stored on a share indexed by Sonos. This can be the share used for your music or you can create an additional share for Audible books.

They will be added to your Music Library in Sonos with the author as "artist", the book as "album", and each file (part 1, part 2, etc.) as a track. The genre will be "Audiobook".
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 04:00 AM

That's an enormously crappy solution. Considering that I already have my books on my iPhone (and NEVER listen to books on my computer), that means that it's way better for me to buy an ordinary airplay speaker.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Johansson View Post
That's an enormously crappy solution. Considering that I already have my books on my iPhone (and NEVER listen to books on my computer), that means that it's way better for me to buy an ordinary airplay speaker.
or a Sonos dock
Philips SLM-5500, Apple TV
New Part: Sonos Play 3, Sonos Dock
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agb007 View Post
or a Sonos dock
Somehow, I don't think I'm going to buy a €119 device to connect my device that ALREADY HAS WIFI to the Wifi network.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
If not a Sonos Dock, then get an Apple Airport Express and hook it into Sonos as directed by the FAQs.
See: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1241

Best of Luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
If not a Sonos Dock, then get an Apple Airport Express and hook it into Sonos as directed by the FAQs.
See: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1241

Best of Luck
Yeah, I know, but that just doesn't make sense to do when I can just get a normal airplay speaker instead.
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but that just doesn't make sense to do when I can just get a normal airplay speaker instead.
Go and buy an Airplay speaker then.

The Sonos concept is far more than a wireless speaker for an iPod. But if a basic, standalone wireless iPod speaker is all you need, then Sonos will be overkill for you.

In which case buy a standalone Airplay or Bluetooth wireless speaker (Bluetooth will work with non-Apple kit as well) and enjoy.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 05:58 AM

I'm not sure "overkill" is the word I would use for a crappy Audible integration that requires extra hardware to use. I'm just disappointed, this would have been such a great match if it was built in a non-crappy way, like the Spotify integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
Go and buy an Airplay speaker then.

The Sonos concept is far more than a wireless speaker for an iPod. But if a basic, standalone wireless iPod speaker is all you need, then Sonos will be overkill for you.

In which case buy a standalone Airplay or Bluetooth wireless speaker (Bluetooth will work with non-Apple kit as well) and enjoy.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Sep 19th, 2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure "overkill" is the word I would use for a crappy Audible integration that requires extra hardware to use. I'm just disappointed, this would have been such a great match if it was built in a non-crappy way, like the Spotify integration.
Just because something is not fit for your particular purpose does not mean it is "crappy". Sonos shines as a multi-source, multi-room, synchronized music system. It does not shine as a audio book platform. A Mercedes sedan is not particularly suited to off-road racing, but that does not make it a "crappy" vehicle.

Enjoy your single source, non-synchronized Airplay speaker. It seems, like a pickup truck is to off-road racing, to be fit for your purpose.