Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Sep 4th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Default streaming music from Samsung Galaxy S3 to Sonos

Hey,

My setup has a Windows PC, NAS, iPhone, iPad and an andriod device. One of the requirements for me is to able to stream music from say youtube or other websites to Sonos. I have all my local music on NAS so it shouldn't be an issue. I can get airport express for iDevices but what about the Samsung phone?

Thanks!
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM

Probably your best option is a bluetooth A2DP audio receiver connected to the line in of a Sonos zone.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks Majik!

With Bluetooth won't distance be an issue? It would mean I have to be in the same room as the connect.

If the above is true the might as well get a cable. Will that work?
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 11:55 PM

Unfortunately, I think bluetooth and cable are the only options for your application.

Whilst UPnP makes it technically possible to stream audio from devices like the SIII to Sonos, so far none of the vendors that I know actually hook that into the audio system in such a way that you divert the audio via that route, as you can with Bluetooth.

The other option might be Wifi Direct, but this is relatively new and Sonos certainly doesn't support it yet. I put in a feature requests for this myself here.

But a cable would certainly work (except into a Play:3 as it doesn't have a line in).

Cheers,

Keith
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 06:54 AM

Even though uPnP would be a possible scenario, an android phone doesn't allow anything to hijack the audio stream without root and modifications. There are projects that are trying to solve it with modifications to the audio drivers (since this is possible in linux), chekc this for an explanation http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA5NDM. If you have pulseaudio running on the device, it is technically possible to expose the default audio stream as a uPnP-accessible url, and played through Sonos.

However, uPnP is based on sending stream info to the player, and I'm assuming the Sonos is doing adequate buffering (to support streaming from internet?) which would render it useless for video scenarios (if you want sync), I think.

EDIT: I found an article which actually demo this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5-phFVfZnQ

And Majik, I don't know how WiFi Direct would solve anything here, that is just for creating "ad-hoc"-like wifi connections. If you are connected to the SonosNet using Android, this sort of voids the need for WiFi Direct, no? Or am I missing something fundamental?

Last edited by jishi; Sep 5th, 2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added article
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Default Skifta android app

You might like to give Skifta app a go, should work for music from S3, not sure about you tube.. the app is available on google play..
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 07:26 AM

Default thanks

Thanks all!

I will give Skifta a try.

Yep, I would need to get a connect or play:5 to do either the wire or blue tooth solution which is kind of a shame.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jishi View Post
And Majik, I don't know how WiFi Direct would solve anything here, that is just for creating "ad-hoc"-like wifi connections. If you are connected to the SonosNet using Android, this sort of voids the need for WiFi Direct, no? Or am I missing something fundamental?
You may be right, but my limited understanding is that the Wifi Direct standard include a push audio and video streaming capability with the target application being the ability to "redirect" the audio/video output of mobile devices to big screen TVs and the like.

I believe the capability is partly based on UPnP, so technically nothing much is different, but I think the aims may be sufficiently focussed to get this installed as part of the low-level audio system of Android which is what is needed to support this.

Real information on this is hard to come by at the moment though, so the little I have may be completely wrong.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 07:57 AM

By the way, a fundamental part of the Linux audio drivers is the ability to discover the latency of a specific audio interface (this is used, for instance, by the Jack Audio Connection Kit and apps like Ardour to do delay compensation).

It always occurred to me that, if this could be extended to a streaming pseudo interface, and if the latency of that stream could somehow be derived, this could be fed back to applications to allow them to do delay compensation.

For instance, for a video, the video output could be buffered to sync better with the delayed audio.

Whether or not any of the projects include such sophisticated capabilities or not, I have no idea.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Nov 7th, 2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgupta View Post
Thanks all!

I will give Skifta a try.

Yep, I would need to get a connect or play:5 to do either the wire or blue tooth solution which is kind of a shame.
Have you had any success with your Samsung Galaxy S3 and Skifta? I kind am kind of having the same issue and would be nice to know what works and what doesnt work from an experienced perspective.