Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Default Can I use SONOS with just AUX?

Hello,

I am new to using SONOS, and am still learning all about it. I have a BeoSound 1 that only has an AUX output in the back of it. Does this mean I cannot attach SONOS to it (using the ZonePlayer 90)???? If there is a way to attach it, then please could you let me know. Thank you.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM

samwarren1985,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Yes, Line-Out of a ZP-90 (currently called "CONNECT") will drive an AUX input.

Note that you'll need to give the ZP-90 a wired network connection to your router or you could wire a SONOS BRIDGE to the router and use the ZP-90 wireless. At least one SONOS component must be wired to the router.

Also, note that you'll have a little war between the SONOS and the B&O volume controls. You could configure the ZP-90 for "fixed" (maximum) output and use the B&O volume control exclusively or preset the B&O volume control to a convenient point and use the ZP-90's volume control for routine adjustments.

There are many similarities between the Beosound-1 and a SONOS PLAY:5. From a monetary standpoint you could sell or re-purpose the Beosound-1 and use a PLAY:5. You'll need to be the judge about relative goodness of sound and styling, but the single remote is a compelling feature. As far as Radio and CD playing are concerned, I think that you'll find that you will not need either of these functions by SONOS day plus one.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Isn't the Aux jack on the BeoSound1 a proprietary two-way jack? It appears to support both input (from the Connect/ZP90) and output (which was originally intended to supply a recorder), unless I'm looking at the wrong owner's manual.

I must say, though, that feeding a Connect/ZP90 through the BeoSound is pretty much reinventing the wheel that Sonos has already done for you in the form of the Play:5. If you haven't already acquired the Connect, you might consider the Play:5 instead.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 05:48 AM

Thank you very much for your swift reply, it is very much appreciated. I am pleased that I can use my B&O, as I was going to purchase a Play 5 for another room anyway - so If I like the sound of it, I can sell my B&O as you have suggested. Much appreciated.