Go Back   Sonos Forums > Speakers and More...

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 01:10 PM

Default Why Can't I listen to my music through my Computer?

My only disappointment with the Sonos system is a big one: why can't I listen to the music playing on the Sonos system through my computer? is there a way to do this???
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM

No there isn't, why would you want to? Just listen to the music using your computer's music program.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Or simply put some speakers from your Sonos system next to your computer...:-).

Seriously, why would you want this? A computer is sub-optimal for listening to music. You can use a Sonos zone in the room where your computer is, right? And with a NAS, when you switch off your computer the music plays on...
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 02:31 PM

davelvb,

This is a common request, but cannot be done. There is a very long, sometimes tense thread discussing this issue. Some posters are not willing to accept that this is a fundamental hardware issue and requires a hardware fix. Feel free to join that discussion.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lhc View Post
No there isn't, why would you want to? Just listen to the music using your computer's music program.
I'll answer this question:

Because my computer has a high quality sound card and high fidelity speakers and since purchasing Sonos for 4 other areas of my home I often find myself wanting to hear the same audio or control the audio and listen to it in my office on the same interface I'm using for the rest of the home. This would allow a user to utilize existing audio components without further investment, and would eliminate the need for duplicate components in the same space.

I have 3 PCs in my office with a set of speakers for each. That's 3 sets of speakers in the same room. I chose Sonos to a large extent because I wanted to have a universal and powerful interface for audio throughout my home. Unless I'm willing to install an addition amplifier and a fourth set of speakers in this room, I won't be able to listen to music using the same interface as I must in the rest of my home.

For anyone who doesn't want to use their computer audio with the primary audio interface for their home, they can go out and buy another Sonos component and speakers and install them by their computer.

Simple.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye View Post
I'll answer this question:

Because my computer has a high quality sound card and high fidelity speakers and since purchasing Sonos for 4 other areas of my home I often find myself wanting to hear the same audio or control the audio and listen to it in my office on the same interface I'm using for the rest of the home. This would allow a user to utilize existing audio components without further investment, and would eliminate the need for duplicate components in the same space.

I have 3 PCs in my office with a set of speakers for each. That's 3 sets of speakers in the same room. I chose Sonos to a large extent because I wanted to have a universal and powerful interface for audio throughout my home. Unless I'm willing to install an addition amplifier and a fourth set of speakers in this room, I won't be able to listen to music using the same interface as I must in the rest of my home.

For anyone who doesn't want to use their computer audio with the primary audio interface for their home, they can go out and buy another Sonos component and speakers and install them by their computer.

Simple.
If you want to listen to Sonos through your high quality computer speakers, purchase a Sonos Connect and connect it to the line-in on your soundcard. Voila! Your computer speakers are now a Sonos zone. No need for a "fourth set of speakers."

Now I know what follows: B-b-b-ut why should I have to buy a Connect? So in reality, you do not want a way to listen to Sonos through your computer speakers, you want an inexpensive or free way to listen to Sonos through your computer speakers. Right? In the four years I have personally been reading this forum, I've never seen a request for a PC based Zone that does not boil down to "I want a cheap zone."
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgatie View Post
In the four years I have personally been reading this forum, I've never seen a request for a PC based Zone that does not boil down to "I want a cheap zone."
And that statement succinctly sums up the very long Thread that buzz posted above (See: http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=3004)

While the desire for a PC ZonePlayer is a valid one, there is a current and easy solution (the Connect), and several arguments for why a software based PC ZonePlayer will not arrive anytime soon.

For those new to these Forums who find themselves here, spend the time to review this important Thread.

Best of luck
1x CR200 - 2x LG Optimus Zone 2 - 2x iPhone3G (now obsolete)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
If you want to listen to Sonos through your high quality computer speakers, purchase a Sonos Connect and connect it to the line-in on your soundcard. Voila! Your computer speakers are now a Sonos zone. No need for a "fourth set of speakers."
Done, and working great. I actually had a Connect that I wasn't using and just didn't think of doing this, so thanks for the smart suggestion.

Quote:
Now I know what follows: B-b-b-ut why should I have to buy a Connect? So in reality, you do not want a way to listen to Sonos through your computer speakers, you want an inexpensive or free way to listen to Sonos through your computer speakers. Right? In the four years I have personally been reading this forum, I've never seen a request for a PC based Zone that does not boil down to "I want a cheap zone."
Not right. Since you asked. Though I wouldn't judge anyone seeking a simpler and more inexpensive option so no thanks for the smug tone.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeye View Post
Not right. Since you asked. Though I wouldn't judge anyone seeking a simpler and more inexpensive option so no thanks for the smug tone.
Then I apologize. This observation did not apply to you and I'm glad your Connect could be put to use. However, my observation was based on a very long, contentious thread from which anyone would contend that the number 1 reason for requesting a PC based Zone is people want a cheap way of subverting the need to buy Sonos hardware.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Smile

Well i can say i got this working by the following setuo,

Single ZP120 in back bedroom connected to an amp with speakers into the backbedroom and bathroom.

the line out was then run in to the bedroom pc 10 meter length this will then play though the computer speakers.

so essentaill each can be tuned off by switching the amp or speakers off

one thing to note is when i first set this up the audio on the pc was having a slight delay after a bit of searching it turned out that the built in drivers for the soundcard on the pc were being used, and processed by windows, to get past this just install the native drivers for the sound card , and change setting in the control panel for line in and all should work without problems.