Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 08:53 AM

Default Music not showing up in library

I'm well under the 65k song limit and the music is ripped from my CD collection (no DRM). I've deleted the folder and re-added it as well as updated the library several times. Any other suggestions?

Music on an NAS.
Old Aug 23rd, 2012, 10:19 AM

Verify that the tagging is correct. Sonos uses the tags to construct the index. Use a non-iTunes utility to check -- iTunes seems to be able to guess at what to display when tags aren't present. I use mp3tag, but anything that isn't iTunes should do.

Be sure the folder in question does not have a leading period. The 'dot' identifies objects as hidden to Linux. That makes albums like Metallica's "...And Justice For All" and Phil Collins' "...But Seriously" disappear on Sonos if the album title comes first in the folder name.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks NoBob. Tagging is correct and no ...s. The files are .m4a. I decided to delete a folder that's a back up just in case I'm over the 65k limit (my estimate is ~33k) and the folder is not deleting. That problem seems to indicate that updating my music library is not working, even though I get the message that the library has been indexed successfully.
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 05:52 AM

RobbyinWA,

Go to the SONOS Folders library view. Are the missing tracks visible here?
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM

If you mean by going to Music Library>Folders>//networkspace2/OpenShare/Music 16 bit 44.1 (the folder I've been adding to). No. Other tracks play fine from the folder, it's only after a day a few weeks ago that it stopped updating.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:00 AM

RobbyinWA,

65,000 is the hard limit, but there is a soft limit too. Explore this thread to see if it fits your situation. If so, use the suggested remedy.

If you are not out of space, make doubly sure that iTunes is storing the new tracks inside of your SONOS share. iTunes can be rather surly about library location and when you turn your back, it will redefine things to its own defaults. (Which will not point to your NAS)

Also, if you have a "Trash" folder in your NAS share, disable the Trash feature.

A corollary to NoBoB's leading period is a blank or other spelling error as a leading character. The tracks will be present, but sorted to an unexpected location.

At some point you should check the SONOS share with an operating system utility. Are the "missing" tracks actually present in the SONOS share?

Last edited by buzz; Aug 26th, 2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Yes the missing tracks are there. That's one of the first things I checked. I found out about iTunes not adding them the hard way awhile ago. There's no way I'm close to the 65k limit. I have three folders with just 10k tracks in each. There are around 50 newly ripped CDs not being added.

EDIT: How do I get the ip of my players? Don't see an "about" option.

Last edited by RobbyinWA; Aug 26th, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinWA View Post
EDIT: How do I get the ip of my players? Don't see an "about" option.
It'll be buried in the Settings menu.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM

Title
MAX 65000
COUNT 27773
Store Size 3604480
Store Used 1112238
Entries Size 262144
Entries Used 39036
Conflicts 4319
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinWA View Post
Thanks NoBob. Tagging is correct and no ...s. The files are .m4a. I decided to delete a folder that's a back up just in case I'm over the 65k limit (my estimate is ~33k) and the folder is not deleting. That problem seems to indicate that updating my music library is not working, even though I get the message that the library has been indexed successfully.
This folder cannot be deleted from the SONOS Music Library setup using a SONOS controller or the computer cannot delete the folder from the NAS?