Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Jul 13th, 2012, 07:09 AM

Default Cannot update Sonos components

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that someone can steer me in the right direction with a problem I'm having. I've had my Sonos system for around 3 years now and have had a number of minor problems with it throughout that time.

However I've been stumped for the past few weeks trying to update the components.

My system is made up of the following:
  • ADSL Broadband into Netgear NG2000 wireless N router with DHCP.
  • BRIDGE hard wired to the Netgear router (running V3.8)
  • CONNECT (daisy chained via ethernet cable into ZoneBridge to rule out wireless issues)
  • CONNECT:AMP wireless (powered off)
  • Two PLAY:5 devices (powered off)
  • 3 SONOS CONTROL controllers (powered off)
  • iPad and iPhone with Sonos software (version 3.8) Powered off)
  • Windows 7 laptop with Sonos software v3.8 hard wired to Router.

Before I start, I should point out that my internet connection is fine. I can browse the net without a problem at 6.5mpbs. It's a very stable connection. My connection to the router is very stable too.

So I think the connection from the BRIDGE to the internet is about as stable as it could get.

All of the Sonos components (apart from the bridge) require an update but no matter what I try to do, they just won't update. If I try to update from a CONTROL, it just says that it can't connect to Sonos.

If I try from my laptop (hard wired to the router) it sees the component, tries to update it but just hangs with the progress bar of the update at various points: sometimes it gets 2% of the way, sometimes 75% of the way. Then it goes no further, the light on the CONNECT continues to flash from white to amber. I then have to force the application to quit and the CONNECT won't show up again until I reset it by pulling the cable.

It's got to the point now that, in order to ensure it's not a DHCP overlap or IP conflict I've rebuilt the router and have changed the wireless key so that the ONLY device that I've given the key to, is my laptop. This should mean that the only devices collecting an IP address from the pool is the laptop, BRIDGE and CONNECT, all of which I can see listed in the "Connected Devices" page of the router interface. They've all got different IPs to one another.

So now, ALL that is powered up is:
Router, BRIDGE, Laptop, CONNECT (which I'm trying to update). I've even changed the LAN IP range of the network so that even if there was a device somewhere in the house with a hardcoded IP address, it'll be on a different range, won't have the Wireless key, etc.

I have a cordless phone but have the whole system switched off and unplugged. The external walls of the house are made from thick stone and the wireless network is secure with WPA2 and I've changed the passkey only about 5 minutes before powering everything up. My neighbours on both sides are over 80 years old so they're not hacking my wireless LAN.

I've got all of the other devices on the network switched off and yet it still won't update. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try or how I could force a local update, given that I've got v3.8 on my laptop?

Any help would be gratefully received! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Andy
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Default Connect (ZP90) SW update problem

Hello

I cannot update my brand new Connect

I already have 3 Play3 connected by ethernet and I justed added a Connect device to bridge the Sonos system with my HiFi system.

as the Controller on Ipad or PC discover the new Connect device, I am prompted to do an SW update.

I launch the process, I very quickly see the initailizing page of the update process, with the progress bar, and then I fall immediately in the error page telling that the Sonos cannot update the device or cannot initialize the update process.

Connect device is news, connected by Ethernet cable to Switch to modem router, I changed the ethernet cable and I got the same problem.

I also unplug/plugin the device or reboot my DSL modem to reshuffle the IP adress of all devices but nothing changed, it do not work..

thanks for the support you can provide to help me get this new Connect device upgraded and working

br

jp
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbellaiche View Post
Hello

I cannot update my brand new Connect

I already have 3 Play3 connected by ethernet and I justed added a Connect device to bridge the Sonos system with my HiFi system.

as the Controller on Ipad or PC discover the new Connect device, I am prompted to do an SW update.

I launch the process, I very quickly see the initailizing page of the update process, with the progress bar, and then I fall immediately in the error page telling that the Sonos cannot update the device or cannot initialize the update process.

Connect device is news, connected by Ethernet cable to Switch to modem router, I changed the ethernet cable and I got the same problem.

I also unplug/plugin the device or reboot my DSL modem to reshuffle the IP adress of all devices but nothing changed, it do not work..

thanks for the support you can provide to help me get this new Connect device upgraded and working

br

jp
Do a factory reset on the Connect by disconnecting power, then reapplying power while holding in the Mute button. Then hardwire the Connect to an ethernet connection and try to update.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 09:16 AM

A new user recently had a similar problem which ended up being resolved by a factory reset of the relevant unit.

We always urge caution with factory reset since it can erase useful diagnostic info and, more seriously, resetting all the units in a system will cause the loss of all settings (library index, Sonos playlists, music service subscriptions, radio favourites, alarms, etc.).
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Default Cannot update Sonos components

I am a brand new (frustrated) Sonos user...just bought two Play:3 and a Bridge yesterday. My frustration began right off the bat when I could not install the software from the CDs to my PC. I finally went to the Sonos site and got the controller software from there...got it installed on my PC, but now I cannot get any Sonos devices to connect...I have all three hardwired directly to my router. After re-trying that too many times, I finally went to my iPad and downloaded the controller App from the Appstore...still couldn't get all of the components to connect until this afternoon. I did a factory reset on the two Play:3 and they finally connected, the Bridge connected right after that. Now, I cannot update any of the component software like the wizard tells me to do...every time, I get the udpate screen, but as soon as the update begins I get a message saying that "An error occured while trying to update your Sonos system (11)" No further information or direction is provided, so I am completely clueless as to what my next steps should be. I am just about ready to return the whole system and find something else. I hate to do that, as it seems like a lot of folks like their system, but I am not one who likes to "fiddle" with things...I like stuff that just works when you plug it in. Am I missing something here, am I doing something wrong, or is it just not a simple as I think it should be?
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Default Finally...a little progress

So I gave up on the iPad and the PC...pulled out my wife's laptop and tried installing one of the CDs that came with my components...finally got the software to install AND got all of the components to connect; however, I still cannot update the components...get exactly the same error message as before. I have turned the firewall off and searched the www far and wide for a solution. If I cannot make some progress when I get home from work tomorrow, the whole thing is going right back where I got it.
Old Jul 15th, 2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSuperDave View Post
So I gave up on the iPad and the PC...pulled out my wife's laptop and tried installing one of the CDs that came with my components...finally got the software to install AND got all of the components to connect; however, I still cannot update the components...get exactly the same error message as before. I have turned the firewall off and searched the www far and wide for a solution. If I cannot make some progress when I get home from work tomorrow, the whole thing is going right back where I got it.
See this link:

http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=30441

Sonos registration and update services were down for maintenance starting at 6PM PDT today. That may have been the reason for your troubles. Note that this does not happen very often, and if it was the cause, it was an unforutnate coincidence. If it was not the cause, before returning the units, give Sonos Support a call. They are some of the best in the business and will give every effort to get you running.

Last edited by jgatie; Jul 15th, 2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 03:46 PM

Err - perhaps I've missed a reply but I've just logged back in to check my thread but it seems to have been hijacked but other posters?

I can't see any responses to my dead Sonos system but just other people putting their own woes as replies to my problem?

Could a mod possibly move their questions to new threads so that perhaps someone could help me with my problems - I'd be very grateful, I can't use any of my components.

Thanks.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 09:02 PM

smith70a,

For the moment, do not factory reset anything.

Strip the system down to a single SONOS unit wired directly to your router and a desktop controller and remove power from all of the other SONOS units.

Using a system of recording serial numbers or physical marking, such as a dot of tape or a Postit note, try updating each SONOS unit, one by one. Keep track of which units update and which units do not update. Only one SONOS unit should be powered while you cycle through the collection, unit by unit.

If a unit demands that it be added to the system is if it is a new unit, mark it and set it aside for the moment -- do not "add" any units to the system.

If a unit does update, verify that your Music Service registrations and SONOS playlists are intact. Keep track of which units have intact data.

I realize that this may be physically inconvenient for you, but I don't know what you have done so far. Music Service registrations and SONOS playlists are stored in the players and and an unfortunate combination of factory reset and "adding" units as new, will destroy this data. I'm not concerned about your local music library setup because this can be recreated easily.

Hopefully, one or more units will update and your data will be intact. Once you complete the above, report back and we'll deal with the problem units.

Keep track of any error messages and pair the messages with a specific unit.

Another approach is to work with SONOS support. They have access to diagnostic data, we do not. We are blind, support is guided by the diagnostic data. My procedure above may not be the most direct path to resolution, but it will not harm anything.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM

Excellent - many thanks for the detailed and helpful reply Buzz. I'll try this tomorrow and will start by disabling the wireless network completely. I'll also manually shut down everything before beginning and will then only boot up the router, followed by my laptop (wired to the router) followed by the bridge (wired to the router). I expect the bridge is up to date so won't need any update so will then move onto one of the other components one by one.

I'll try wiring the directly to the router (slightly inconvenient but definitely worth it!). I'll log the results as you suggested and will report back.

Many thanks again!