Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 05:55 AM

Default Tracks from artists on compilations not shown

After much tweaking, re-ripping and re-tagging, I have now finally a well-sorted music collection.

However, when I browse by artists in the controller (Mac desktop & iOS here), only those songs in the artist's own albums are shown, not where the artist has a track on a compilation album. I know that you can enable contributing artists and then browse the hundreds of additional artists, but this kind of defeats the purpose of having a digital collection for me (ease of use and instant availability for example).

Is there maybe something wrong with my tags here? I used first iTunes and then mp3tag for refinement and have set all compilations as both a compilation in iTunes and the AlbumArtist as Various Artists in mp3tag.

Or is this just the (admittedly stupid) way Sonos handles compilations?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 07:18 AM

It sounds as though Sonos is doing what it's been asked to do.

With grouping by AlbumArtist the Artists view will feature the ALBUMARTIST tag for compilations. It won't also include the ARTIST tag for those tracks, since that would imply double entries.

Enabling the Contributing Artists view allows you to see the ARTISTS tag.

Alternatively you could disable compilation grouping entirely. Sonos should then display the ARTIST tag in the Artists view.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
It sounds as though Sonos is doing what it's been asked to do.
Okay, now that you explained it I see what the Sonos is doing. Which does not mean that I agree that it is the sensible thing to do, because as it is now, I only have the choice between:

- not finding the songs I am looking for (when grouping by compilation or AlbumArtist and that artist has not only her/his own albums but songs on compilations as well)
- having the artist list cluttered by hundreds of names that only have one or two songs on compilations (yes I have quite a few genre compilations)

Coming from iTunes, this is actually rather stupid.

Thanks for explaining it, though - I thought that I had made some kind of mistake while tagging the music... :-)
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM

I was going to comment that an easy way to find them would be using the Search ==> Artists feature --- but that doesn't work either, it only searches Album Artist and ignores the Contributing Artists. Now that is daft.

Rick Parsons

Now 7 zones, 3 controllers + iPad, iPod, iPhone, Windows & Mac controllers.
Hi-Fi is Cyrus/Quad/Rega/Linn connected to a zone in the record loop.
Computer is a Mac but with Windows running under VMware for some purposes - e.g. MediaMonkey which I prefer to iTunes.
Music is on a ReadyNAS Duo.