Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Jun 9th, 2012, 02:36 AM

Default Laptop can connect ipad won't

I'm in a rented holiday home with wireless broadband internet access and have taken my Sonos 5 with me, which is connected to the router via wired ethernet.

My laptop is connected to the router via wireless and can browse the internet control the Sonos listening to internet radio fine.

But my ipad and iphone won't connect to the Sonos at all. All have the latest software and firmware. Both iphone and ipad can surf the internet. I deleted and redownloaded the Sonos program on the ipad, which has also been completely restarted.

The router is a single port Huawei EchoLife HG521 supplied by TalkTalk. We have the admin access to the router but not the internet password so can't reset the router but did turn off the firewall.

Are there any router settings I can change to allow the iphone and ipad access to the Sonos?
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 03:31 AM

There's been some discussions of late, about routers that put phones, tablets and other such devices in a "DMZ" or separate wireless zone outside of the normal network....

Might check if that router does the same thing.....

Also are you sure you configured the IOS devices for the wireless? Gotta ask. <G>
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the reply.

One of my companions bit the bullet and firmware upgraded and fully reset the router, luckily it connected back to the internet automatically and now the two ipads connect to the Sonos but my iphone still won't - but we can live with that.

The iphones and ipads have always been able to surf the net, that was the puzzle, they just wouldn't see the Sonos.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 04:44 AM

andykn,

I'll echo steelrat's, comment -- make sure that the iPad's WiFi is turned ON. If you are using the phone network's radio, you will be able to browse the Internet, but you will not be able operate your SONOS system. Also, make sure that the iPad is using your WiFi. If the iPad is using the neighbor's WiFi, browsing and email will work, but you cannot control your SONOS system.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
andykn,

I'll echo steelrat's, comment -- make sure that the iPad's WiFi is turned ON. If you are using the phone network's radio, you will be able to browse the Internet, but you will not be able operate your SONOS system. Also, make sure that the iPad is using your WiFi. If the iPad is using the neighbor's WiFi, browsing and email will work, but you cannot control your SONOS system.
Thanks, good tip about making sure I'm not using the neighbour's internet. The ipad can now connect after a full router reset, checked the iphone is connected correctly by browsing to router admin page showing correct SSID but it still won't connect to the Sonos.

I think it's just a rubbish router but wonder if there's some obscure setting. UPnP is on and firewall is off.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Login to the router and check the IP address of your iDevices. Make sure they agree with what the iDevice thinks they are, and while there ensure they are on the same subnet as your Sonos gear. (Unless you have two routers, or maybe a 2.4GHz/5GHz setup, it is unlikely this is a subnet problem)
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM

having a similar issue, but slightly different...

my wireless network is wired to a bridge and I have a Play 5 and a connect Amp on my system.

Now the past 7 months i've had the system, me and the wife have been able to get the system to play from our Android phones and tablet no problem.

Now all of a sudden, a weird occurance, we can get the system to start playing from our phones, but when we return to turn it off (we leave pandora on for the dog), both phones and the tablet say Searching for Sonos components. But the desktop controller still works so we would turn it off from there, the weird part is once we turn it off from the desktop controller our Android phones and tablet can access it again.

Now the phones are connected to the same WiFi network, same SSID, that is not the issue. The desktop controller has never had the issue, just the phones/tablet. The phones leave the wifi and come back and maybe there is something with that that has changed, but the tablet never leaves the house and never has wifi turned off, so that wouldn't be the case there.

i've reset the bridge and no dice, have not reset the router, but again the fact that the phones will have connection after accessing the Sonos through the desktop controller tells me it isn't network related. I dont know, im stumped, anyone have any ideas?
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 12:28 AM

kegacide,

Have you been through the standard troubleshooting steps?

To clear any possible IP duplicates: Power the entire network off, then restart each device starting with the router.

To resolve any wireless conflicts in case the WiFi router has auto-selected a new channel: Ascertain the Sonos channel, then fix WiFi to whichever out of ch 1/6/11 is available. Disable any '40MHz'/'wide' WiFi option.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 06:35 AM

I have not restarted each device separately because again it starts working once i control it from the desktop computer (which i did not mention is also on wifi, not direct wired)

i will attempt playing with the wifi channels to see if that helps... my only issue is the fact that this just suddenly happened, not right after an update, no new devices brought into the system... just random one day we started up from the phone, and 3 hours later, couldn't access from the phone but could still from wirelessly connected computer... then magically the phones work again

very random, but i'll look into channels on the router, thanks
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 06:46 AM

I recommend the reboot. The majority of the time, IP conflicts are the cause of symptoms like these. Besides, it does no harm, and it could very well cure the problem. That should be your starting point, then try switching wireless channels.