Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old May 14th, 2012, 12:20 PM

Default iTunes and file permissions

As many of you know, I am not an iTunes user, but I need to solve an iTunes problem. And this is complicated by the fact that I can't directly observe the system. My "portal" on the system is an observer who does not instill confidence.

The music library is stored on an XP system and iTunes is used to manage the library. Overall, the SONOS system is working fine, but recently purchased tracks (within a few days) from iTunes are not visible except in Folders view. Further, while visible in Folders view, they will not play because of a "Permissions" issue. Subsequent to the iTunes purchase, a few local CD's were ripped using iTunes, and can be played from the normal library views without incident.

Is anyone aware of an iTunes setting that would specifically target purchased tracks and lock them down? If the user is currently editing an album using iTunes, will that album's tracks be locked down as far as SONOS is concerned? Note that the computer was rebooted to eliminate the possibility that files were trapped in that odd limbo that can happen if a locked file is orphaned by a crashed program.
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:16 AM

Sounds really weird buzz. My suggestions though, it sounds like there's either a problem with where the files are stored.... the id used to store them (vs, the sonos id) or there's some "new drm" on them.

The logical workaround would be export to mp3, or some other format then add to sonos that way.... but I have a feeling that's going to cause you more headakes.

Do you know where the library is stored? In itunes there's the directory listed in favourites where itunes puts files..... Or there's also the physical location where they could be. Personally, I have files in Itunes library linked from the NAS, but not the directory that itunes controls. If they have changed the directory where itunes is putting stuff, maybe it's as a simple as directory permissions with what the sonos id can see.

Maybe one option would be to see if you can use another media player to use the files, and see if they can play the mp4? Locally first, then if you have the option, maybe another machine, to confirm the drm status?
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Unfortunately, I can't offer any explanation; but I can say that any music that I buy or rip through iTunes, plays perfectly thru Sonos.

Is the latest iTunes being used, Buzz; or is there an update needed to be taken at your end?
1 x Viewsonic Android Tablet Controller | 1 x iPad (1st Gen) with Sonopad App | 4 x Samsung Mobile Android Controllers | 2 x Play:5 | Connect | Project Debut 3 Turntable | Naim NAC72 / NAP140 Pre + Power Amps / Naim HiCap PSU | Meridian Audio 563 DAC | KEF Q900 Loudspeakers | QED Silver Anniversary Bi-Wired Cable | 1TB HDD + FLAC Files + 1TB Backup HDD *Digital files played primarily, Vinyl .. Not so much*
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, this is an odd situation. I wish that there was a NAS. If there was, we probably would not be here -- unless iTunes moved the library back to the computer.

I had my hands on this system for a similar issue a while back and I simply transcoded the files and left it at that. Any permissions issues would have been laundered at that time. Transcoding every purchase is not something that the system owner could or would do. I thought that I had picked through and checked all of the iTunes options, but I only get my hands on iTunes when something goes wrong and I get "volunteered" to fix the issue. I'm not familiar with the subtle consequences of a given setting.

I could accept that iTunes stored new arrivals somewhere special, outside of the normal shared folder, but these files would not be visible in Folders view. It's the selective permissions issue that is the puzzle.

I'll certainly have more to say after a hands on session. I was hoping to arrive "armed".

steelrat files would be stored in the default iTunes location.
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:55 PM

Default Files in ITunes not visible in Sonos

Yesterday, i noticed that a few songs were in my ITunes library but i could not find themon Sonos. I know that Sonos cannot play DRM protected files. Some time ago, I updated all my old ITunes purchases at $0.30 per song to get the new unprotected file. Therefore, I was surprised that I am missing files in Sonos.

I searched for *M4P files on my MAC and found 316 files. These appear to be the ones missing. I then logged into the ITunes store and looked under ITunes Plus. It only showed that I can upgrade 2 songs.

All my songs have either been purchased from ITunes or from CDs.

I'm not sure why I have this problem or how to fix it? Could I have purchased the ITunes Plus upgrades and somehow I still have the old files?

Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:46 AM

Worth,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Since you are not alone, I moved your post to another thread that may help you and others.

Look for the "missing" files in "Folders" view in your SONOS library. If these files are visible in Folders view, then there is some sort of format spat between SONOS and iTunes. The SONOS system will flash an error message about a "permission" problem.

In this case the message is misleading because the file permissions appear to be correct.

By the way, which computer operating system are you using? I ran into this on Windows XP using iTunes 10.6.1 and the SONOS 3.6 and 3.7 firmware.

----

Everyone:

I had "hands on" and discovered that if one right clicks on the offending track in iTunes, then selects "Convert to Apple Lossless", the tracks will become visible in the other SONOS library views and the tracks will play -- after you update the SONOS library index. (Bonus! The artwork associated with these tracks is now visible on the SONOS system.)

I recommend that you first backup these tracks in a folder that is not shared with SONOS. Then, after you select and convert the tracks (you can multi-select), the tracks will remain selected after the convert is finished (be sure to wait for that last track to fully finish!), then you should delete these tracks from the iTunes library (right click on a selected track) in order to avoid future confusion for the human.

From a technology standpoint, I don't like doing this, but it is quick and relatively painless for the human. The converted tracks will not sound any different and they will use more disk space, but this extra space is not significant for a relatively few tracks.

---

Perhaps this is a tagging version issue. This user would not be capable of directly dealing with this using a 3rd party program or script. The above procedure is on the edge of what is possible for this user.
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:54 AM

Help!

I too have got the same problem as listed (I think).

I have recently purchased some new albums from iTunes and some of them did not appear on my Sonos Music List when I updated my Music Library. I went to where the files were stored and the files that were not showing up had little padlocks on them.

When I looked further the offended tracks are not sharing with Sonos ZonePlayer. When I click to add this it says "cannot locate Sonos ZonePlayer".

I then saw this thread and opened iTunes. I right clicked on the tracks but I see no option to "convert to Apple Lossless".

Can someone help at all?

Thanks guys!
Old May 23rd, 2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Worth,

By the way, which computer operating system are you using? I ran into this on Windows XP using iTunes 10.6.1 and the SONOS 3.6 and 3.7 firmware.

-
I'm running an IMac with Snow Leopard on it. I too tried to "right click" on one of the songs, but i don't see an option to convert it to Apple Lossless?