Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old May 5th, 2012, 08:15 AM

Default Sonos cannot connect to NAS

Hi,

I'm having a few problems trying to get my Sonos set up. My current hardware is:

- Synology DS212 J NAS
-D-Link DGS-1005D 5 PORT 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit switch (router)
- Sonos Controller for PC version 3.7

I have connected the NAS through the router and my PC can see it. From my file manager it is visible in the Network Location section as Music/NAS ( Y: ) I can't seem to get Sonos to connect to it though.

When I click on "Music Library Settings" and then add "On a networked device such as a network attached storage (NAS) drive" after clicking on Browse and selecting the Y:, I get an error "Sonos was unable to add the music folder" with the error code IDS_NETSVC_PARM_ERR_CREATE_SHARE_FAILED - The data area passed to a system call is too small.

As far as I can see I have given read access to guest users on the NAS. Also no password is asked for when I try to connect via Sonos.

Can anybody point me in the right direction as I am lost, and I have a degree in Computer Science and it's not helping me in the slightest!!!
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Sonos will only accept the root folder of a share. It will then scan the entire share.

Is Y: mapped onto a subfolder?

For simplicity just type the \\devicename\sharename address of the share into the appropriate dialog box.
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM

ratty, you are an absolute legend!!! Big kudos and hugs from me.

I changed the Path to //DiskStation/Music and it found it straight away. (DiskStation seems to be the internal name of my server on the Synology NAS)

15 years I spent as a senior software troubleshooter in the telecoms industry and I'm still clueless

No doubt I will have a few more teething problems in the coming days,. As Arnie used to say, "I'll be back".
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 06:23 PM

Default Sonos and Synology NAS

I know you guys answered this question I had the same problem recently, my workaround was to put the IP address (after giving the synology NAS a static ip) ie
\\192.168.1.200\music.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 01:11 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post

Sonos will only accept the root folder of a share. It will then scan the entire share.
Just saw this and I'm a bit puzzled.

I have created two folders within a public share on my NAS: "music" and "audiobooks". I have added both of these (and just these) to the Sonos Music Library settings and as expected, all items are in the library after a scan. If I remove "audiobooks" from the library settings then those items disappear from the library (as I would expect).

This seems to contradict your statement. Have I misunderstood?
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
Just saw this and I'm a bit puzzled.

I have created two folders within a public share on my NAS: "music" and "audiobooks". I have added both of these (and just these) to the Sonos Music Library settings and as expected, all items are in the library after a scan. If I remove "audiobooks" from the library settings then those items disappear from the library (as I would expect).

This seems to contradict your statement. Have I misunderstood?
You haven't misunderstood. But you also didn't note the date of the post which you quote.

Folder level music share support was introduced at v3.8. http://www.sonos.com/software/release/3.8

I'm afraid that to go back and revise every one of the then-correct forum posts in the light of subsequent events would be a Sisyphean task.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 01:48 AM

Ah - knew you wouldn't be wrong so hence the puzzlement. Didn't think to check the post date as the thread popped up as new.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 11:21 AM

I had connected my NAS using
\\Diskstation\music which worked fine , however it recently wasn't found by my sonos. The NAS only connects to sonos using the ip 192.168.0...... Now.

Anybody any clue as to why it can find NAS using ip but not \\Diskstation\music ?

Last edited by muzikizum; Apr 17th, 2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 12:41 PM

Possibly a name resolution glitch. Restart your network. Power everything off, restart the router then the rest.

If the problem keeps occurring your ISP may be doing a DNS hijack in order to present special ISP pages in your browser, for example if you mis-type an address. The ISP may allow you to disable such services.
Old Apr 23rd, 2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apz212 View Post
Hi,

I'm having a few problems trying to get my Sonos set up. My current hardware is:

- Synology DS212 J NAS
-D-Link DGS-1005D 5 PORT 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit switch (router)
- Sonos Controller for PC version 3.7

I have connected the NAS through the router and my PC can see it. From my file manager it is visible in the Network Location section as Music/NAS ( Y: ) I can't seem to get Sonos to connect to it though.

When I click on "Music Library Settings" and then add "On a networked device such as a network attached storage (NAS) drive" after clicking on Browse and selecting the Y:, I get an error "Sonos was unable to add the music folder" with the error code IDS_NETSVC_PARM_ERR_CREATE_SHARE_FAILED - The data area passed to a system call is too small.

As far as I can see I have given read access to guest users on the NAS. Also no password is asked for when I try to connect via Sonos.

Can anybody point me in the right direction as I am lost, and I have a degree in Computer Science and it's not helping me in the slightest!!!
I'm considering buying a NAS DS 212 J and definitely want it to work flawlessly with Sonos. Can you give me your general opinion from your experience. Any particular points to pass on?

Thanks