Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Apr 27th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Default Can't use Sonos Controller on Laptop

New Sonos user and I'm having a little bit of a problem connecting my Sonos to my home network. Here's the issue I have. I have a Bridge, Play 5 and a Controller. With my Controller, I can play things like Rdio, which is cool, but I tried installing the Sonos Controller on my laptop and when I get to the place where I have to connect, I get an error about my Firewall (Norton Internet Security 2011). I've actually disabled the Firewall and the Anti-virus and I still get the error message. When I press the mute and plus on the Play 5 it says that Sonos detected a component and then after about 30-45 seconds it says "Your Sonos component was no found" and says my firewall may need to be adjusted. If my firewall is OFF why does it need to be adjusted. I've gone into the support docs and made the necessary changes to my firewall and still get the same error.

Any thoughts on this. Is Sonos not accessing the network if I'm able to play Rdio from the Controller?
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Sometimes even turning off the firewall does not cure all problems. See this FAQ:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answe.../692/kw/Norton

Enter your OS, Norton, and Internet Security 2011, and you will get detailed steps on how to configure your firewall.

As to your lest question, Sonos does not go through the PC in order to play anything, so it does not encounter the firewall on the PC. In fact, you can run Sonos without any PC at all, if you have a mobile controller.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM

I had ran through that wizard and have made all the changes necessary, still no dice.

Thanks for explaining about the controller, was wondering why that was working and my PC isn't
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Norton Internet Security shouldn't be a problem. Does it correctly recognise your network connection as a local one?

Are you using any VPN or VMware? This can cause problems for Sonos.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Do you have a VPN running on the laptop? Sonos is incompatible with active VPN's because it requires all components to be on the same subnet.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM

To be honest, I have no idea if I have a VPN running. I don't remember setting one up, I'm not a super techie, but do understand some technical stuff. When I hit my wireless modem, I see the following:

Security --> VPN -->
IPSec Passthrough Enabled
PPTP Passthrough Enabled
L2TP Passthrough Enabled

Not sure if that helps or not
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM

I think the best thing would be to contact Sonos support. They are very good at what they do, and can remote connect to your PC to diagnose the problem.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 12:16 PM

Yeah, I actually contacted them and the guy I dealt with couldn't figure it out. Was on the phone with him for about 1 hour. He raised it to 2nd level support, but they've neglected to call me the 2 times that they said they would. A little disappointing actually.
Old Apr 28th, 2012, 09:56 AM

One thing that I just thought of, I do have HMA (HideMyAss VPN) on my laptop, but it isn't turned on. If I go into my Network connections, I have 5 connections, 4 of which have a red x on them (not connected). I have HMAVPN, Local Area Connection, Local Area Connection 2 and Wireless Network Connection 2 all of which are Not connected or Network cable unplugged. It's just my Wireless Network Connection that is active.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:41 AM

How do I find out if my Modem/Router is compatible with the Sonos system. I've uninstalled Norton Internet Security and used the Norton Uninstall tool to make sure it's fully gone and I still can't get this thing working. Starting to think it might be a hardware issue.

FYI, I am dealing with support on this issue, but figured I might ping this group also.