Go Back   Sonos Forums > Speakers and More...

Old Apr 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Default subwoofer to connect(90)

How can I connect a wireless sub to my sonos system? I have 1 CONNECT(90) which is hooked up to my receiver and amp. I dont have a CONNECT:AMP.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 07:26 AM

OK, so I'll ask.... why not put the sub off the reciever downstream of the connect?

Is it because you are running the reciever in two channel mode only?
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 09:40 AM

Ok so I am not so smart about this stuff. What do you mean by downstream. What does 2 channel mean. Sorry. I thought it might be a easy hookup.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 09:52 AM

So.... here's what I was thinking....

connect -> Reciever -> speakers and sub (this is why it would be downstream, it's connected to the reciever, not the zp90.)

When some recievers are running in two channel (Left and Right) they don't also send signals to the sub channel, or any surrounds. The connect plays with 2 channel signals, left and right, so it depends on how the reciever is processing the signals.....

Does that make more sense?
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:02 AM

eresh,

If you attach a SONOS CONNECT to the receiver as if it is an "AUX" or"TAPE" device, the subwoofer attached to the receiver can be used. The receiver configuration may need to be changed. Usually, the dialog for configuring the subwoofer output will offer a "Both" option. This option sends the bass from left and right plus the LFE (the .1 channel) to the subwoofer.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 01:36 AM

Default sub connected to preout?

I have a somehow similar configuration. I use the ZP90 with my classical amplifier (Cyrus Straight line) that has a left and right speaker output and a pre-out. I do not use the pre out. The speakers are directly conected to the amplifier.
The volume of the ZP90 is fixed and I adjust volume with the amplifier.
How can a Sonos sub now be integrated to that. Connecting it directly to the ZP90 the volume will be fixed. But how to connect to a classical amplifier like this? Can it be connected to the pre out and is this a reasonable solution?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el.patron View Post
But how to connect to a classical amplifier like this? Can it be connected to the pre out and is this a reasonable solution?
A Sonos SUB can't be connected in that way at all. It can only be bonded with Play:3/5 or Connect:Amp devices and receive its audio via a network connection.

You would need to use a traditional sub with line-level inputs and the standard level/filter/phase controls, in order to match it to your existing speakers.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 09:01 PM

Default ZP90 + sub

o.k. that I understood so far.

Assuming I use a power amplifier and the ZP90 as the pre amplifier. When connecting a sonos sub to that and integrate it to this zone, how are the signals handled? Is the output of the ZP90 to the power amplifier reduced by the low frequency content that should be amplified by the sub?
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 12:24 AM

At present you can't bond a Sonos SUB with a Connect/ZP90. There's a suggestion thread covering this area.

For a Connect+Sub scheme to work, the follow-on power amp would have to be preset at a fixed level and all volume adjustment made by the Sonos. Possibly Sonos decided this was a scenario that would be too difficult for users to reliably configure, and that the overall Sonos experience would suffer as a result.