Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:08 PM

Thumbs down "network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer"

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?

I am able to playback music if I only use 1 zone, once a second zone is added the music is cut off and the buffer message appears.

This has only happened since the latest update (umm did you bother to test your software Sonos?).

Any help would be appreciated.

Craig
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch2006 View Post
This has only happened since the latest update (umm did you bother to test your software Sonos?).
Sonos tests its releases extensively.

Problems after system updates are -- often as not -- caused by IP addresses being duplicated because the Sonos device reboots have exposed some latent issues in the network.

Reset your network. Power everything off and restart in order:

- modem (if separate)
- router
- wired Sonos devices
- wireless Sonos devices
- NAS, wired computers and other wired devices
- WiFi connected devices

Wait for each device to reboot fully before moving to the next.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 09:57 AM

Default Having the same problem

I am having the same problem, also only since installing the 3.7 update.

As soon as you de-group the 2 players the music continues playing on the remaining player without problems. When you try to re-group, the music will play for about 5 seconds and then stop (buffer running out?)

Problem seems to be intermittent - had several days of no problems and now it is back.

I thought it might be interference on the wifi connection, as the symptom went away when I connected the two players with an ethernet cable.

Also, not sure I understand how the point re IP address conflicts is relevant to the above symptoms? I thought the Sonos players use their own separate wireless network and only the player which is attached to the broadband router by ethernet cable is assigned an IP address on the home network?

Any help gratefully received ...
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Bean View Post
I am having the same problem, also only since installing the 3.7 update.

As soon as you de-group the 2 players the music continues playing on the remaining player without problems. When you try to re-group, the music will play for about 5 seconds and then stop (buffer running out?)

Problem seems to be intermittent - had several days of no problems and now it is back.

I thought it might be interference on the wifi connection, as the symptom went away when I connected the two players with an ethernet cable.

Also, not sure I understand how the point re IP address conflicts is relevant to the above symptoms? I thought the Sonos players use their own separate wireless network and only the player which is attached to the broadband router by ethernet cable is assigned an IP address on the home network?

Any help gratefully received ...
Although Sonos uses it's own brand of wireless, it is still part of your network. It still gets its IP addresses from your router, and it still communicates via TCP/IP. The only thing that is different is they use their own proprietary wireless to do it. It's like speaking over the a landline vs. speaking over a cell phone - You are still speaking English, but the medium over which you communicate is different. You can even "conference call" between the two mediums. In other words, you can plug any ethernet capable device into the ethernet port on the back of a Sonos component and have full access to your entire network, including internet, even though they are on the "other" side of Sonosnet's WiFi.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 11:15 AM

Default Don't blame the ip addresses this is an upgrade issue

I have exactly the same issue and it's related to the update - come on Sonos get yourselves sorted. It's supposed to be a superior brand!
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawks View Post
I have exactly the same issue and it's related to the update - come on Sonos get yourselves sorted. It's supposed to be a superior brand!
Try not to confuse (weak) correlation with causality.

My neighbor got a flu shot last fall and was hit by a bus the very next day. That didn't stop me from getting mine.

If there was a definite problem with the upgrade, there would be many more folks with issues than we currently see here.

Call Sonos Support and they'll sort it out for you.

BTW - My 6-Zone system has been working flawlessly since the upgrade...

Best of Luck
1x CR200 - 2x LG Optimus Zone 2 - 2x iPhone3G (now obsolete)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 01:51 AM

Thumbs down Network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback

Hi there,
I also have this issue, if I play music from Rhapsody on a single zone all is good, as soon as I add in another zone I get the error mentioned. If I play Internet radio I can play it on one or more zones simultaneously.

So I wonder if this is anything to do with the Sonos update or is it somehow Rhapsody relegated - I never had this issue when using Napster.

I must say this is very frustrating and the multi zone features of Sonos are one of its key feature and is certainly why I purchased my 4 zone system. Sonos - please advise how I can help you troubleshoot this issue further!

Regards

Matthew
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 03:23 AM

Spindlerm,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

Quote:
Sonos - please advise how I can help you troubleshoot this issue further!
Note that these are user forums, designed for user to user discussions. While SONOS staff occasionally post here, this is not an official end user support channel. I suggest that you directly contact SONOS support.

By the way, your symptoms usually are the result of a local networking issue. SONOS support can help you resolve this.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 04:45 AM

Thumbs up Problem resolved

Hi as advised,

Switched off all Sonos components and router, restarted router, then zone bridge, then rebooted each Sonos player in turn. All sorted now, thanks for the hint regarding local network conditions

Cheers

Matthew
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 06:16 AM
Sonos Support Team

Hello everyone,

Our technical support team is looking into these reports to determine what could cause the problems you've described in this thread. I've opened support incidents for you under your registered email addresses and sent an email out a few minutes ago. We're hoping to obtain some more information from your systems.

If you haven't received anything yet, please let me know by sending a PM.

Thanks,

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 4 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.