Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Mar 25th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Default Bose or Yahama soundbar and sonos

hey everyone, we are moving and in my new family room we are downstairs, so i don't want to rip open walls and such for good sound. i'm thinking of a nice soundbar and tried the bose cinemate 1 SR and it sounds pretty cool. Does anyone know if I can get it to work with Sonos and the TV? It doesn't appear to have a receiver, so I'm not sure if it will work. I do love the idea of not having another box (receiver) that I won't use. If this won't work, I'm also considering the Yahama YSP-2200. This does have a built-in receiver and input switching.

Does anyone have any experience with either one of these and what do you think? Otherwise, any other suggestions on home theater options that will work with Sonos would be awesome. I do like bose, but I just find their receivers virtually worthless, as I am not going to listen to a CD or the radio anymore (i have sonos!) so it does basically nothing.

thanks!
Old Mar 25th, 2012, 05:58 PM

chuckpearson,

These are great problem solvers. The YAMAHA units work well in more or less rectangular rooms with smooth side walls. The higher end units have more speakers and processing power and will handle more difficult situations. Don't place any of these units inside a cabinet. They should be no farther back than flush with the front edge of the cabinet. Wall mounting is ideal.

Note that there will be a little "war" between the unit's own volume control and the SONOS volume control. This is true for any type of external amplifier -- I'm not specifically picking on these YAMAHA or BOSE units.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 10:24 AM

Default Yamaha or Bose soundbar..

Hi,

I did post some comments in the forum a few months back. I also wrapped it up in a blog post here:

http://techmobabble.blogspot.co.uk/2...h-on-whim.html

Hope this is useful ;-)

Mo
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mologben View Post
Hi,

I did post some comments in the forum a few months back. I also wrapped it up in a blog post here:

Hope this is useful ;-)

Mo
This is great, thanks for sharing. Yeah, I think if I want to do sonos it's going to have to be the lifestyle 135 that has the media center to switch devices.

I really like the harmon/kardon sb16 but am concerned about the volume/remote thing that people talk about.

I also like the B&W panorama and that it has no sub. I've read people are having issues with wireless subs cutting out internet connections and stuff, which really concerns me since I have a packed house of gadgets and wifi stuff. Anyone have any real issues with this?

I'm building an entertainment center and am wondering if i should build in a speaker cabinet in the bottom, but the wife doesn't like the look. if the wireless subs work well i can put it elsewhere in the room.

I'm still a bit confused...