Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Mar 19th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Syntheka

Question Zonos ZP90 - background noise

Hi there,

I am new to the Sonos family and purchased my ZP90 just last week.
Setting up the player was as easy as assumed and the application on my tablet also worked without any issues.

First some basic information on my system to help on troubleshooting:

Setup:
- Sonos ZP90, connected to the Router via Ethernet cable (distance appr. 10-15cm)
- dLAN connected to the ZP90 secondary Ethernet port
- DECT handset in range of 30cm
- ZP90 connected to Teufel Decoderstation 5 via Toslink
- Application on Asus Transformer Prime (Android 4.0 ICS)

Problem:
I am having a pretty massive background noise when listening to online streams. First thought that it might be the connection to my Hifi-system but the noise is only occuring when the stream is on. When paused, no noise is heard.

Could this be caused by the small distance between router (having activated WiFi) and the DECT handset?
Unfortunately, I was not yet able to check whether playing local files also causes this issue as the Sonos App does not recognize my local MP3-files on the tablet.

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 03:35 AM

Welcome to the forums.

At a guess the nearby digital electronics/wireless is affecting the analog stage in the Decoderstation, or the HiFi system downstream of it.

If you remove the Toslink connection and continue to play the Sonos stream does the interference stop or does it keep going?
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 03:39 AM
Syntheka

Dear ratty,
many thanks for the fast reply.
Currently, the Toslink is my only option to have the music playing as I do not yet own a Play:3. I have also tried a coaxial connection to my Hifi-system but no change.

Another assumption is that the router I have connected my ZP90 with is not properly grounded.
Is there a way to have my "local" MP3s on the Android tablet playing through the Sonos app? If so, I could disconnect the Ethernet and see if it helps further...
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Syntheka,

If you are experiencing a "hum" and you have a Cable or Satellite set top box connected to your system, assume that the hum is triggered by the Cable or Satellite system until proven otherwise. The "proof" would be to disconnect the cable system or satellite antenna fed from the set top box. If the hum then stops -- my hypothesis is correct.

In this situation, inserting a "ground breaker" between the set top box and the cable or antenna feed will cure the issue. If you are using satellite, make sure that the ground breaker is rated for that application because some ground breakers will work fine for cable, but cause issues for satellite reception.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntheka View Post
Currently, the Toslink is my only option to have the music playing as I do not yet own a Play:3. I have also tried a coaxial connection to my Hifi-system but no change..
Yes I understand that.

My point was that if the interference continues when the Sonos is streaming -- even with the digital link (Toslink or coax) disconnected -- then it sounds like it's being induced in the analog electronics of your downstream equipment. If that's the case you would need to juggle the physical position of your analog kit with respect to the digital/wireless components.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Syntheka

Hey guys,
thanks for your replies.

@Buzz: The only thing connected to my ZP90 is the Decoderstation which does not face any interferences if the Sonos-System is not transmitting so I can disregard this as the cause of the humming. It might be the Router, though

@ratty: Understood. I will try disconnecting the Toslink and see if the humming continues. Furthermore, I will check whether connecting an iPod via Cinch also causes the humming.

Will keep you posted.
Thanks.

Last edited by Syntheka; Mar 20th, 2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Syntheka,

A rogue cable or satellite box does not need to be directly connected to the SONOS CONNECT, any connection to something that the CONNECT is connected to can cause the hum.

While it is conceptually possible that the wired connection to the router is at issue, I have never observed this. However, it is a good idea to investigate this by removing the wired router connection. Of course, the music may stop, but we are testing for hum, not music. The hum will stop instantly if the network connection is involved. The music is buffered and will continue for at least a few seconds.

Note that my "hum" is part of a general electronics issue called a "ground loop". Ground loops can be tricky to diagnose and cure. There are a few high level consultants that make a very good living by solving these issues for companies. The main point of any discussion of ground loops is that, similar to an argument between humans, there are multiple parties involved.

In a ground loop situation, each piece of equipment can be very well designed, but when connected as a group, the units can't get along. Just as in human interactions, where certain individuals always seem to be present when an argument starts, cable and satellite boxes are the first suspect in my ground loop analysis. Whenever I hear about "hum" in an audio system, I start looking for the cable box. In rare cases where the cable box is not at the root of the problem, I am always prepared to expand my analysis, but this is rarely necessary.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 09:53 AM

Guys, not sure it would be a ground loop problem. Toslink lifts the ground. Hum cuts out when paused...I'd do some tests.

What is your source? Digital music off a nas? Internet Radio? Encoding analog?
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 01:18 AM
Syntheka

Hey guys,

@Buzz: Thanks for the detailed explanation. Misunderstood you in the first place but now get what you were up to with referencing the ground loop. Know that under seperate cover as I am a musician.

@ControlFreak: Up to now only did streaming via "TuneIn" so my assumption was that the ethernet connection causes the issue... will do some testing though by connecting my iPod as said to see if the hum still continues...

I will definitely need to do some research connecting and disconnecting different components. I will also try adding a bridge to my Sonos-environment to see if any change occures.

Will keep this audience posted to share any experience made.

Cheers
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
@ControlFreak: Up to now only did streaming via "TuneIn" so my assumption was that the ethernet connection causes the issue... will do some testing though by connecting my iPod as said to see if the hum still continues...
Play some other digital audio, internet radio streams are not completely free of "noise" we may be on a wild goose chase.