Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Mar 15th, 2012, 07:32 PM

Question Question: SONOS Connect

Hello Everyone!

I just bought the Sonos Connect and I need your help.

My router is on my bedroom and my Audio system is on my living room. It is not possible to move my router from my bedroom as the Cable outlet is installed on the bedroom wall. Sonos requires to use BRIDGE or ZonePlayer wired directly to the router in order to connect a Sonos Connect wirelessly.

I really thought I could connect the Sonos Connect wirelessly... Is there any way to do it without having to buy the Bridge?

It does not make any sense to me...

Thank you!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner2k View Post
I really thought I could connect the Sonos Connect wirelessly... Is there any way to do it without having to buy the Bridge?

It does not make any sense to me...

Thank you!
Sonos architecture requires one unit to be connected to the router using a LAN cable, to allow for robust and reliable working of its proprietary wireless network thereafter.

If the connect is too far away for this, the bridge is a necessity, and a one time requirement.

Unless you add something like a play unit to also get music in the bedroom, and are able to connect that by cable to the router. You can then save the cost of a bridge.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Sonos architecture requires one unit to be connected to the router using a LAN cable, to allow for robust and reliable working of its proprietary wireless network thereafter.

If the connect is too far away for this, the bridge is a necessity, and a one time requirement.

Unless you add something like a play unit to also get music in the bedroom, and are able to connect that by cable to the router. You can then save the cost of a bridge.

Thank you Kumar for you input.

Well, I have a D-Link wireless router sitting around. I'm thinking here and this D-Link could actually be my "BRIDGE"(Access Point Bridge), isn't true?

The D-Link would be my second wireless router and the SONOS would be wired to the D-LINK. (my Main wireless router would communicate to my D-link. I will change the channels on each wireless router so they don't conflict with each other using 1 and 11 ch...)

What about if I disable the DHCP and NAT and attach a static IP with the subnet mask I am using from the main wireless router?

Last edited by runner2k; Mar 15th, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner2k View Post
What about if I disable the DHCP and NAT and attach a static IP with the subnet mask I am using from the main wireless router?
Now, this is too deep for me I love Sonos because it doesn't need me to know all this stuff.

I am sure soon someone more up to speed with these matters will jump in and help.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Your Connect does not connect to your network "wirelessly" in the way you're thinking of that term. Sonos uses it in the literal sense, in that it doesn't need wires to connect to SonosNet, the proprietary wireless network system used by Sonos.

SonosNet and your network (including your traditional WiFi) do not see each other, so something must be used to bridge the two systems (SonosNet and your network) or you'd have no way to access your network's resources (Controllers, music library, internet, etc). The most simple, inexpensive way to construct that bridge when an actual Sonos player cannot be wired to your network is to use the Sonos Bridge.

If you just won't spend the $50 on the Bridge, you can use alternative connection methods (Ethernet-over-Powerline and a wireless bridge are a couple of examples), but that negates the advantages of SonosNet and are considered unsupported configurations, as traditional WiFi is not optomized for audio streaming, and EoP can yield spotty results. That said, some use those alternatives anyway and get away with it.

You may be able to configure your spare router as a bridge -- many can be -- but simply disabling DHCP (and the rest of that suggestion) will not do it.

If at all possible, you really should use the Sonos Bridge.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM

Thank you for the details.

That all being said, I'm pretty sad now...
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Dont be sad !
Go and buy the bridge!
You will love the Sonos system, in the long run you will forget the little bump on the road.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Thank you Kumar for you input.

Well, I have a D-Link wireless router sitting around. I'm thinking here and this D-Link could actually be my "BRIDGE"(Access Point Bridge), isn't true?

The D-Link would be my second wireless router and the SONOS would be wired to the D-LINK. (my Main wireless router would communicate to my D-link. I will change the channels on each wireless router so they don't conflict with each other using 1 and 11 ch...)

Yes this can be done depending on what models of routers you have, it just takes a little bit of network-know-how. Again it depends on what routers we are talking about...

Is it a bad idea reliability wise....yes.

Would I ever do it for a client....no.

Would I do it in my own house to save 50 bucks....no.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 12:23 PM

What I'd do is find some other room you want to have a speaker in that also has access to a wire.

Buy a Play3/Play5, Get music plus expansion!

Yes, this is much more expensive and may not at all meet your needs.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM

Lightbulb Bridge for free

IS there any way of getting a free sonos bridge when you buy the Sonos Connect?

I've seen some coupons out there but you get a free bridge when you buy sonos combo. (FREEBRIDGE)