Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Mar 1st, 2012, 01:15 PM

Default Setup issues

Hi there
I am new to Sonos after ditching a squeezebox. I am experiencing quite severe dropouts. This is the configuration.
Win 7X64
Wired connection to Sonos Connect over Powerline
Wireless router to iPads, iPhones
It seems that the wifi causes interference. If I switch it off the interference disappears. However, I want to use the iPad over wifi to drive the Connect!
I have set the channels to 1 on the wifi and 11 on the Sonos.
The interference does not seem to affect radio or Songl (music subscription service) and even the more compressed tracks from my music library are unaffected. However, most of my library are Apple Lossless tracks and these are affected. I didn't have any interference on the squeezebox in the same configuration.
Does anyone have any thoughts?
TIA
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM

newmsie,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

I don't understand your configuration. Where is your local music stored? Am I clear that your CONNECT is attached to your router through an EoP (Ethernet over Powerline) adapter?

While some are quite successful using an EoP connection, EoP can be a lot of trouble. Also, I don't recommend that you use a WiFi connection between your local music and the router. Again, some are very successful with this setup, the others end up here or at the support desk -- with issues.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM

Hi Buzz & thanks for the welcome

My music is stored on a Synology NAS on an ethernet connection. The Sonos Connect is also on the same network & also wired, but yes, it is an EoP connection here.

I am now wondering whether it could be a bandwidth issue on the powerline. My computer & NAS are in an upstairs office and the Sonos player is downstairs in my lounge. There is a concrete slab in-between hence the need for powerline.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 10:16 PM

It seems pretty clear now that the issue is wifi interference.

I can have the Connect playing music satisfactorily and when I turn on my wireless access point it stutters and then stops.

If I then turn of the wireless access point starts again. The track has kept going, but there has been no sound.

If I am using the Connect I cannot use wifi (channel 11), if I am using wifi I cannot use Sonos player (channel 6).

Does anyone have a method of stepping through this type of problem?
Old Mar 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM

The way it's described I can't see how the WiFi RF could be direct factor. The traffic path for local music is all wired (albeit partially via EoP).

As matter of courtesy to neighbours check that the WiFi is not using 'wide' or '40MHz' channels.

Could the WiFi access device be loading the EoP link?

Some EoP devices come with a utility which monitors raw bandwidth, and this can be very informative in this kind of situation.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM

Still struggling.

Most of my music has been digitised to Apple Lossless with minimal compression.

It appears that the EoP isn't coping with this high bit rate.

I have tested with MP3 and seem to get a better result, although there will be a loss of SQ.

I now wonder whether a media player connected by line-in would improve the situation?
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmsie View Post
It appears that the EoP isn't coping with this high bit rate.
If you're stuck with using EoP you could try using some faster adapters. HomePlug AV is rated at up to 200Mbps raw bandwidth (80Mbps at the MAC layer). Make sure you get adapters which provide a PC diagnostic utility so you can see how they're faring.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:07 PM

31 Mbps at the Mac Layer
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmsie View Post
31 Mbps at the Mac Layer
That's plenty. My initial install was on a HomePlug 1.0 set, which has a PHY-rate of only 14Mbps. It ran two FLAC streams concurrently (I only had two ZonePlayers at the time).
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoB View Post
That's plenty. My initial install was on a HomePlug 1.0 set, which has a PHY-rate of only 14Mbps. It ran two FLAC streams concurrently (I only had two ZonePlayers at the time).
Well I still get stuttering :-(

How could a wifi access point effect the EoP throughput? I really don't understand how the problem occurs when the Netgear WNDR4000 is on, and can be fixed if I turn it off.

Tags
connect, interference, wifi, wired