Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Old Jan 9th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Default sonos, synology and iTunes on MBPro

I have my iTunes library on my MBPro and that is the primary (and currently the only) iTunes library in our house.

Now I have purchased a Sonos 5 to enjoy the music. Hoping to purchase more if I can make it all work.

Here is what I want to accomplish:
1. synchronize the music from MBPro to Synology (1-way copy from my MBPro to Synology NAS). I suppose I can use some backup software for this - any ideas would be appreciated. I use CarbonCopyCloner for an overall is that what I should use or are solutions like MediaRover - mediarover.com?
2. have the Sonos system leverage the playlists (both static and dynamic) that I have created in iTunes on my MBPro. I understand that this is possible. Question is whether I can copy the music folder (which is entirely on my MB Pro) to a NAS and still have Sonos get a useful playlist - i am thinking that the XML file will be pointing for music files as per my MBPros directory structure.

Is it possible - 1 and 2? If so, I will appreciate any pointers. Thank you!

Last edited by mals1; Jan 9th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 04:18 AM

Hi mals1,

I new to the world of Sonos and I'm thinking of having a similar setup as yourself. Did you get any replies to your querry?

How did you end up setting up your system?

Thanks

dubalda
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 04:34 AM

I did not figure out a good way to leverage playlists from iTunes.

Not being able to figure it out reduced the usefulness of Sonos. In hindsight, I should have purchased a small light computer which played lists from iTunes and have speakers that listen to such computer. Perhaps Sonos.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 05:41 AM

My Itune library was on a NAS and Sonos picked up the Itunes play list on indexing.

I just copied the whole folder when I moved from the MacBook to the NAS and (I think) used consolidate library after pointing to the NAS Itunes Media folder in the preference.

So in short, if your Itunes playlist are in the share you are indexing, Sonos will pick them up as far as I know.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM

I should try out this approach. Copy the iTunes folder - one difference - my music is not consolidated by iTunes and I do not want it that way.

Nevertheless will try it out.

Thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 05:47 AM

Synology has a feature called "Cloud Station" that works similar to Dropbox, except the "cloud" in this case is a folder on the synology NAS. When you are connected to it, it will replicate changes from your MB to the folder. You can keep an up to date copy of your music folder on the NAS.

After that, you just point Sonos to that folder, and it should pick up the playlists from the XML file.

I also use this to synchronize my photo library between the wifes computer and mine.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:06 AM

Ditch itunes.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj72 View Post
Synology has a feature called "Cloud Station" that works similar to Dropbox, except the "cloud" in this case is a folder on the synology NAS. When you are connected to it, it will replicate changes from your MB to the folder. You can keep an up to date copy of your music folder on the NAS.

After that, you just point Sonos to that folder, and it should pick up the playlists from the XML file.

I also use this to synchronize my photo library between the wifes computer and mine.
I would recommend this approach. This is the same set up that I have on my system.

I have my iTunes library on my macbook in a shared folder so that three users can use the same library on my macbook. I use cloudstation to continually backup to my disk station. I have my Sonos set up to read from the cloudstation folder on my disk station and everything works perfectly!

Cloudstation is good as it allows you to make changes either on the macbook or diskstation while they are not connected and it will then sync the changes to the other device when they are connected back up.

All my playlists in iTunes are available to Sonos using this method.
Old Aug 30th, 2012, 09:16 AM

All

I have just purchased my first Sonos and cant wait for it to be delivered, however whilst I wait I am in the process of trying to set up the system in the best way.

The above setups look perfect as I have a Synology NAS and MB and started to use cloudstation, however my TV and movie library has outgrown my MB so I now store on the NAS in a different folder (I use Plex to stream to my Samsung TVs) but have some old favourites on my MB which sync to a ipad for when I am travelling abroad.

I started cloudstation and selected the Itunes folder, however it is currently syncing all files in there including TV and movies (which I dont need for Sonos) but I dont see a way I can split my music and everything else out as Itunes wont allow me to pick multiple locations. Any thoughts on how I can just copy my music without causing itunes problems?

Thanks in advance

Trev
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 07:31 AM

Guys

Just wanted to let you know how I solved my problem but now have another!

Firstly I followed the advice at discussions.apple.com/thread/3791772?start=0&tstart=0[/url] which basically means you remove all movies/tv shows from my MB and copy onto the NAS, then delete from MB and copy back to MB without the copy tickbox in itunes selected. This does mean when I leave the house my MB doesnt have any movies on it but I can still sync them to my iPad which will do.

So my new problem.....I have created a cloudstation share, uploaded all my itunes library and music, installed my Sonos and played a song, all good so far. However, if I want to play a song from a playlist it wont work, the song is available to the Sonos but its looks for it where the library tells it to (I think) which is on my MB and not on the NAS. Any ideas?

Cheers

T

Tags
itunes, nas, playlists