Go Back   Sonos Forums > General Discussion

Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:17 AM

Question YouTube Audio Streaming

Im not sure if this is possible or how it would work, but being able to stream the audio from a YouTube video over your sonos set up would be immense! There's heaps of new music, rare tracks and covers on YouTube, that you just can't find on spotify/last.fm. *All of which are free to access. Is this something that's been asked before or been attempted?
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 02:37 PM

friz_1986,

I moved this discussion into General Discussion because it seems like it will morph into a "how to" discussion.

Anyway, the only supported way to do this is to connect your Computer's line out to a SONOS Line-In. At that point, the computer's audio can play on any SONOS unit.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 01:27 AM

I see what your saying about using the line in but I was thinking more along the lines of in the iPhone app ability like you can with spotify?
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 04:16 AM

This would be quality if it was integrated into the sonos app so I could watch YouTube videos on my iPad with the audio playing through my play 3 or someway I could just play the audio off the YouTube app
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 04:20 AM

With iDevices, you can accopmlish this by using Airplay via an Airport Express and a line-in.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:12 AM

Consider an ATV also. AirPlay from i device to that, hook ATV into sonos. Or there's various ways to stream all PC / Mac audio to a sonos.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:32 AM

Or, from Android, a bluetooth audio receiver connected to line in can be used and has the advantage that the audio-video sync is far better than when using Airplay like this. This may work for Apple devices too.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 06:03 AM

Default Play 3

What about if like me all your players are Play3's with no audio inputs? My original query *was if YouTube could be or will ever be integrated into the sonos app /controller?*
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz_1986 View Post
What about if like me all your players are Play3's with no audio inputs? My original query *was if YouTube could be or will ever be integrated into the sonos app /controller?*
Ah, that is a problem.

I'm not sure it could be, at least not without a substantial re architecture change to the controller app. It would have to somehow tap into the OS sound drivers (or perhaps even act as a sound driver itself) which would require a much deeper access than a simple application. I suspect it would need a separate piece of driver software, but I don't know enough about Windows or Mac audio to know how feasible this is.

Cheers,

Keith
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik View Post
I'm not sure it could be, at least not without a substantial re architecture change to the controller app.
I probably did'nt make my first post as clear as I could of. I realised it would take a lot of changes in the controller app itself, this is why I posted it in the sound ideas section. As it is a feature me and I'm sure others would like to see along side services like *Spotify, Napster, last.fm and others in the more music option on the controller itself.