Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 01:00 PM

Default Another NAS thread (WD My Book live)

Hi Guys, is the WD My book live still the weapon of choice when it comes to a NAS.

I currently have a ZP90 connected to my amp and like many would like to access my itunes via the app without the need to boot up my PC.

Also anyone using Sonos along with a PS3 can you tell me if it will all work well together? I have the ZP90, a play 3,PS3, WD live TV along with plans for more Sonos.I would just like everything to work well together.

I am going out to buy a NAS at the weekend and just want the right thing first time

Many thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 07:28 AM

Well after many reading I have ordered the WD Book live in 2TB. £134 @ Curry's/PC World.

Give her a bash, is it easy to put the itunes on it? Is there a WD Live sonos tutorial anywhere? I am sure I will work it out

Speak soon, many thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 01:15 AM

Well to answer my own questions and to continue to talk to myself and for the benefit of those flying in via google I will tell you my experiences.

Luckily I am tech minded, although networking is not among my favourites.

I can confirm that the WD my book live is so far working a treat for me, I can easily play itunes via the NAS without the need for a running PC, this was my priority. Secondly I tested the PS3 streaming from the NAS and it played well, it was a small file granted (The snowman movie 400mb) but it played quite fast. The PS3 picks up the twonky media server/WD My book straight away without problem with good speeds, I can also play my itunes through the PS3.

The Sonos system is excellent, amazingly easy to set up, it seems strange that other companies cant do the same? The most time consuming problems so far have been itunes related, sorting out artwork and grouping albums with featuring artists, ahhhh!!!!.

A program that you should all have if you use itunes is mp3 tag which is completely free and easy to use, I used this with a combo of a well known online retailer (Where most of my CD collection came from) for album art to mount artwork to each music file so I wouldn’t have any issues of missing artwork on the Sonos app (I am OCD with this kind of thing)

So yes the setup is simple and I will tell you briefly how I went about seting the whole thing up :

Starting from the ZP90 and the bridge, plug bridge into router (Netgear/Sky) with supplied network cable, plug ZP90 into home AMP, download APP via itunes, hit a few buttons when prompted and bang it works, how can it be this simple? Almost to easy for my liking.

So, itunes will not play through the APP/Sonos system unless you have a running PC/Mac or NAS, Radio of course will operate perfectly.

The next step was to install the WD my book live 2TB, again setup is quite easy, plug NAS into router with supplied newtork cable, run installation CD on PC and now the WD is accessible via the network, simple as should be. Grab your itunes folder and drag it into the NAS shared music folder (This took quite a while to transfer for me, this is something I am working on) could be my PC at fault for low transfer speeds.

Run Sonos controller via PC and add the shared music/intunes folder that is on your NAS and delete other shares that are currently there to avoid confusion. Update indexes, this can also be done via the Sonos app or of course via the PC controller. Power down PC and test itunes is running on your Apple device etc via the app and the NAS drive only, Result?? Ohhhh Yesss, itunes without a PC on the Sonos system (Google tagging )

Next if you have problems with missing artwork while playing your itunes collection via sonos then this is where MP3 Tag becomes really useful, simply open the shared music folder on your NAS, then itunes, drag the album that is causing you artwork problems into MP3 tag. Next, or what should have been first is to have your artwork ready, I keep album artwork in a handy folder so I can mount them without hunting through my computer each tim. Select all tracks, or Ctrl-A for windows users, and then at the bottom left of MP3 tag you will see a Artwork box, right click and add artwork, locate the Artwork that you have downloaded from the web and open, it is important now to click save (Top left blue disk icon) Simple now all the tracks have been mounted with the same album artwork. Update index on Sonos and play your Artworked music OCD free.

I think that is it, I typed this quickly, although I may make a detailed setup guide, hopefully this has helped someone.

Many thanks
Onion
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 02:43 AM

Hi Onionhead, Felt I had to write something to stop you talking to yourself LOL!
I too use that well known retailer and mp3tag to sort out all my artwork and tags - it has been a very time consumming exercise but I'm retired so no problem there. I don't have the same NAS as you and I don't use iTunes but Sonos works just fine for us. A couple of minor problems, nothing to do with the Sonos itself - replaced my 2-year old Belkin router with a BT HomeHub3 which has stabilised my home network, and a desktop controller problem which seems to have gone away all by itself!
Continue to enjoy
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 03:29 AM

Cheers for the reply

It is great to have it all setup and you can just sit back and enjoy the whole thing. Must say that so far I am really pleased with the Sonos, excellent system.

Next for me are some Apple TV2's (Jailbroken) on the network, and a complete backup of my music and DVD's. A clutter free home is what I would love
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Hi Onion - I was listening too!! Seems we had similar experiences. I am not as PC literate as you appear to be (and certainly not networking) so I have just written up my step-by-step set-up of a WD MyBook Live "for dummies". We don't have a PS3 but my son does have an Xbox 360. Can I connect it to Sonos do you know and if so what can I do with it?
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Hi dude, I was just about to reply to your thread, great post, will surely help people with similar setups. I would love to do a step by step video, but I cant say I am good at that kind of thing.

Do you find that the transfer times between PC and My Book to be quite slow? I think it started to improve but for roughly 5gb we are talking 30 minutes.

I am not too familiar with the 360 but at a guess surely it will pick up the WD and be able to play music and video through XBMC? Would make it a media centre along with gaming, would be pretty cool