Go Back   Sonos Forums > Getting Started with Sonos

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:17 AM

Default Sonos with WD MY BOOK LIVE

Hi

I have been searching for a way to make the NAS WD My Book Live work with my Sonos system. After much messing with firewalls and access to my computer system I finally managed to get the sonus desk top controller to search (browse) and find I tunes which I copied the whole folder from my laptop to the WD drive when adding to the libraries. The directory was added and the icon on the I phone also updated. But still I have no direct control from my Iphone to the NAS, the iphone keeps looking for the PC. I can not be a million miles from making this work. I have some sympathy with the chap in a previous comment on the forum who also did not want a lap top on all day and even though I have the dock controller which works great it would be handier to have the access through the WD. Any help would be welcome and I am definitively not a computer nurd just a user.

cheers modelhangar
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 07:37 AM

From the Sonos User's Manual:

Quote:
From the Music menu, select Set Up Music Library.

The shared music folders that are currently available to your Sonos system appear.

Click Add a Share.

To add music stored on a remote computer or a NAS device, select Add music stored in folders that are currently shared on my network, and then click Next.

Type the network path for the music folder (\\Name\Sharename, where Name is the network name for your computer or NAS device, and Sharename is the name of the top level shared folder, or click Browse to search for it.

If it is not shared anonymously, enter the user name and password of a user with permission to access this folder, and click Next (PC).

Click OK to confirm.
Note that it is easier to Browse to the location than to type it in. When adding an NAS, you have to browse to "Network" first to find the NAS. If you cannot browse the Network, go into the NAS setup to find the name of the NAS and the folder you have copied the music to. Then enter "\\NAS_NAME\FOLDER_NAME" into the Sonos path as shown above.

If you have set up any usernames and passwords for users of the NAS (not the same as the admin password), then you can enter those in the Sonos setup too. However, more than likely the default is access to all, so this step is usually not necessary.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelhangar View Post
I have no direct control from my Iphone to the NAS, the iphone keeps looking for the PC.
Do you mean that the Sonos controller on the iPhone complains that it can't access the PC when you attempt to play a track from the NAS?

If you didn't remove the PC share from Sonos Library Setup when you added the NAS share then Sonos will be confused by files which are duplicated between the two locations. Remove the PC share from Sonos.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:18 AM

Default share

Thanks for the replies.
I have now found the problem, which was with windows music media, unfortunately, I had not set it to share. I also then created a separate folder with Itunes music folder with just the 2 relevant files included.

Windows doesn't quite react the way WD describe and I found I had to go into many settings to ensure the My book was visible with the relevant route files. UPnP access also needs to be turned on manually.
I also reset the network to home share.

This seem to do the trick and I now have access.

All the sonos equipment appears to now working first class.

Next question

I generally do not leave electronics on stand by and would normally switch everything off at the mains, does this have any affect on the equipment or does it all just reboot and sort itself.

many thanks
cheers
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 10:41 AM

modelhangar,

While one can make a "green" argument for turning the a unit OFF, I'm not convinced that this strategy will result in longer life. See my comment in another thread.

Although the contents of the current Queue will be lost on power down, none of the SONOS settings will be destroyed. From the operator's standpoint, one must wait for the unit to boot before the music will play.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 11:10 AM

Default stand by

Thanks Buzz

your response is appreciated.
I checked your link as well, again the explanation was a big help, I have never switched mains units off until recently having read a few forums which raised the issue of consumption from devises being left in standby, such as laptops, monitors and satellite equipment etc.

Just as an aside I can really have some sympathy with people buying into sonos without fully understanding the system. I purchased mine from a very reputable store which I use as there after sales if you have a problem is excellent, however, I to have to go back and buy the z90 for my amp system, which, is where I wished to start my system from plus I now have a dock for the iphone which is basically redundant. but I shall keep it as it makes an excellent back up.

cheers and thanks again. I shall be following the forum as I expand the sonos system. Next a play 5.

All the best
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 02:36 PM

Default lost the WD drive

Hi
went to update music in my Itunes having backed my WD drive with everything from my lap top, however, the sonus app now does not see the wd drive any ideas.

cheers Neil
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Default Problems with NAS Mybooklive

Dear SONOS colleague,

I have just recently bought a SONOS and I had a mybooklive with the music in. After 5 days I am still unable to see the music in the mybooklive from the sonos controller. I have to say, that I cannot even see folders shared in my own pc, unless i get them through the windows media server.
I always get a upnp=1002 or 1001 error.

You said you have been able to solve the problem. Can you give me any hint? I have been totally disconnected the firewall but the problem still remains. Do I have to do something else?

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks

Smarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelhangar View Post
Thanks for the replies.
I have now found the problem, which was with windows music media, unfortunately, I had not set it to share. I also then created a separate folder with Itunes music folder with just the 2 relevant files included.

Windows doesn't quite react the way WD describe and I found I had to go into many settings to ensure the My book was visible with the relevant route files. UPnP access also needs to be turned on manually.
I also reset the network to home share.

This seem to do the trick and I now have access.

All the sonos equipment appears to now working first class.

Next question

I generally do not leave electronics on stand by and would normally switch everything off at the mains, does this have any affect on the equipment or does it all just reboot and sort itself.

many thanks
cheers