Go Back   Sonos Forums > Digital Expert

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 25th, 2011, 10:56 PM
bellbound bellbound is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2
Default Advice on a Zone switcher?

I am moving into a new house that is already wired with speakers in the ceiling all throughout the house and there are a few speakers in the backyard. It was explained to me that the house has 2 zones. 1 for the main den area and the rest are on zone 2. I have a Denon AVR-3808CI that I want to connect to these speakers and there is a spot there with the wires ready to be plugged in.

1. I was told I need to buy some sort of switching Sonos device to be able to switch between zone 1 and 2. Someone recommended a Sonos though I am not sure which to get. Can anyone recommend a unit to do this?

Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:30 AM
NoBoB NoBoB is offline
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,905

Welcome to the forum.

Your Denon already has the ability to route any of its inputs to any of its three output zones (for example, CD to your den and radio to the rest of the house). Technically, Sonos is not required to do that, but if you were to acquire Sonos equipment, you could use Sonos as one of those inputs (or two, if you bought two Sonos 'Connect' units).

I see from a review of that receiver that even though it's capable of network streaming, the remote and interface are poor enough that the reviewer recommends a separate streamer like Sonos. Perhaps that was the genesis for the Sonos recommendation to you.

Personally, unless the den speakers are set up as a home theater surround sound system, I'd forgo the Denon for the house speakers and use a Sonos Connect:Amp for each zone, which drives speakers directly.

I take it with multiple speakers in each zone, that the other rooms are equipped with some type of impedance-matching volume controls.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:44 AM
bellbound bellbound is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2

We currently have the main home theater
and built in speakers in the den.

The other rooms in the house all under zone 2 also have built in speakers.

All I want to do is to be able to play music from the den and choose to play it also in zone 2 if I like.

There are a bunch of speaker wires running coming through the wall for the second zone. Some for the kitchen, for the office, etc. I'm not quite sure how those would connect to my Denon without some type of zone switcher?

I have no idea about the "impedance-matching volume controls" though there are switches on the walls of the rooms for raising and lowering volume, though I have no idea how that connects to the receiver?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 10:06 PM
buzz buzz is offline
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: US
Posts: 15,465


I think that it would be best if you had an experienced person check out your wiring.

From here we can't know how the house is wired. If the house was wired by a competent professional, the hook-up to a receiver or a SONOS system could be straight forward. If the system was installed by an inept self proclaimed "expert", anything goes.

Each of your wall switches or controls should be pulled out and inspected. Even if they are appropriate controls, they could be miswired.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:14 PM.